4 Function Locomotive Decoder R8249 DCC chip. [quality issues]

Guest Chrissaf

Suggest you speak to Hornby customer care, if this is a recently purchased decoder, they will advise your next step.  I had a TTS decoder which failed after about 1 month use, they replaced it for me.  I have found the. To be very helpful.

Rod

It was a new one only been bought about 3 weeks when I got round to fitting it. I cut the plug of the end to hard-wire it as fitted in a 1979 Scotsman. I've since bought some 8 pin sockets to wire in first then plug in save cutting pulgs off and having the same problems. Just so annoying as their not cheep. 

I don't know if this is any help, but when I fit a DCC chip to a non DCC ready loco, I buy the Hornby 8 pin socket and attach to wires to this. Then you can use the decoder without cutting off the ends. If you look at the decoder there should be some evidence where they came off if you look closely. The red and black wires, as you know are track so these will go ether a bridge rectifier or large diodes ( they do on a TTS decoder) these are bigger devices  with either two or four pins. So if you have a multimeter you should be able to find where the red and black wires connect (it doesn't matter if you mix up red and black) and then by ellimination the third wire is the orange. Warning if you get the orange wire wrong and connect it to track it will probably blow up the module. If you use the socket approach, then you can test it out with one of those really cheap DCC decoders off EBay, that way you only lose £10.00 instead of a lot more.

4 FUNCTION LOCOMOTIVE DECODER R8249 DCC CHIP 

I've been fitting some chips to my Locos and on one of them I've had the Red, Black and orange wire's come off. Quality of build is very poor. 

This drawing shows the wire colour to pin relationship on the R8249. The purple wire on the right is an unterminated flylead wire for the fourth function. It also shows how to wire in a DIY 8 pin socket.

/media/tinymce_upload/3c5f2590bb0bdaf90a0ebe9bef3c396c.jpg

This magnified photo image (taken from a 'stay alive' post) gives a clue to where the wires go on the decoder PCB.

/media/tinymce_upload/3df9aae6451593962bf59635624a35b2.jpg

Archived