Buying a scalextric

Essexben

Hi Essexben - welcome to the forum!

The Scalextric ranges are explained here: https://www.scalextric.com/uk-en/our-ranges-explained

The traditional Scalextric is the basis of all the other systems. ARC One and ARC Air use an app to offer various lap counting and game-play features, such as pit stops. ARC Air is more advanced than ARC One, but uses the same one-car-per-lane ‘analogue’ running.

ARC Pro is the Scalextric digital system, using the same app, but up to six cars running on the track at the same time, with lane changing and a dedicated pit lane. To run in digital mode, cars must be fitted with a digital chip (costing around £15), so digital is more expensive to begin with and to add more cars. ARC Pro does also have an analogue (one car per lane) mode that will run two non-digital cars.

If you have a budget of £200- £350, I do really like ARC Air and ARC Pro. The wireless controllers are very nice and the app adds a huge amount to the racing experience. Digital is brilliant if you will have a group of friends or family members racing. ARC Air is excellent if you are racing alone, against an app-controlled pace car or against another person. However, if your budget is limited, you can have a lot of fun with a basic Scalextric (or ARC One) set for £80-£120 and gradually add track, cars and then upgrade to an ARC Air or ARC Pro powerbase and wireless controllers when you have the funds.

I hope that helps.

• 1 month later...

I'm leaning towards the arc pro sunset speedway this is would be my first set. Seems like it provides everything needed to start out good in this hobby. Do the basic tracks allow for lights on cars?

The three street cars that come with the set have lights. 

I'm leaning towards the arc pro sunset speedway this is would be my first set. Seems like it provides everything needed to start out good in this hobby. Do the basic tracks allow for lights on cars?

this year I helped a physic instructor setup three Sunset Speedway sets for lessons in physics for his school system. In addition to the 28ftx8ft track I have in my home I decided to purchase a Sunset Speedway set to help me get a feel for what its like to get a Scalextric set and experience it as it comes out of the box.

Nothing else can improve the entire track racing, and ownership experience like one simple addition. I mean nothing will improve your track and the use of all of your cars more than just adding turn aprons and/or guard rails with clips. For the Sunset Speedway set you will need 4 packages of aprons, or guard rails and clips. With this one improvement all of you cars will have a better chance or staying on the track when you are running fast laps or racing. I'd also recommend you look on the forums and look at how to use sandpaper to get your tires to provide better grip. 

Also you should know the cars that come in this set have head and tail lights. 

Archived