A1 Flying Scotsman Derailing

Question One

Hi all. It's my first post, but only because you've collectively answered every question I've had previously in other folks historic threads.  So a big thanks from me for all that shared knowledge I've been utilising to get past problems to date.  So my current problem is a derailing R3284TTS A1 FLYING SCOTSMAN, I bought yesterday. I've started a layout of five loops using Hornby track. Three are complete. I am now using the Railmaster/e link (yep you helped with that config).  Running the A1 it derails whilst crossing an Express RH point.  The point is set for straight through the entry is from an R603 straight comming off 4th radius curve.  The front bogie derails approximately as it arrives at the pont of the insulfrog (think that's the term).  It does cross at shunt 10mph and it  has crossed at 40mph but not at 80mph (all scale speed).  My other A1 FS Railroad from a trainset does cross at all speeds, as do a P2, A4, Princess Coronation and BofB.  Before I went DCC a few weeks ago they were all crossing on an HM2000 at mad speed.  So far I have cleaned the track, inspected the boggie and wheels, which look okay.  Bought and fitted a new right hand Express point just in case.  That hasn't worked either.  The point isn't ballasted nor is the R603 yet.  The last time round before writing this, the bogie moved sideways a few millimeters, not enough to derail but it tripped the e link.  Looking at the bogie it's different from my other Railroad FS as it has two small wings projecting.  Final things, the track is flat and level pinned at the moment.  He point isn't motorised yet.  The tender is linked by a bar as its TTS.  It's not close coupled.  The Tender is not completely level with the loco.  All 8 Tender wheels are contacting, but if you press down at the front it does lift the loco  body by approx 1 mm.  Not from the track, just the caseing lifts. Haven't tried to alter the bar yet or go all Uri Gellor on it, although see that Peterspares have them if I need to replace. Hope that's enough detail for a stab at it.

Welcome

Good solid info supplied which gives us a fighting chance at helping.

1. Check the back to back dims for the front bogie wheels. Use a gauge not a ruler.

2. Adjust (bend or shim it) the drawbar link so there is no weight transfer bias. Disconnect the drawbar and see which way it needs bending.

3. Put a pin right in the middle of the point to ensure it is dead nuts flat.

4. Consider installing a light spring on the front bogie pivot bolt. See various service sheets for the config. An old ball point pen spring may work if trimmed.

More advice will appear from others...

I have loads of Hornby A3s and A4s which give me no issues. 

But that blooming Railroad Flying Scotsman has been a total pain.

Jerky runner culminating in motor failure, and very reliable derailing.

I’ve tried everything to solve it, but whenever I think I’ve cracked it, off it goes again.

I have retired it from the fleet.

Who needs it when I have a new gloss Firdaussy A3 for £70 which looks and runs like a dream.

Hi Q1, ignoring WD’s obviously different issue (you’ve said your RFS is fine, his isn’t, and he’s not looking for a solution), I agree with Rob the issue is most likely B2B being out.  Not because of just the derailing, the shorting too.

Archived