triangular driver for stripping e-link, Elite etc.

Friendly Fryer

Most £ shops have multi-bit drivers just make sure it has the triangular bit. I think mine came from Poundland. I bought several before finding exactly the right one.

At a push you can use an allen key as a hex fits into a triangle, but the screws are soft and the slot is easily damaged.

Note that you will need a deep drive extension to get into some of the Elite recesses.

Check out the Teardown reports on my linked web site for a picture - mine is red and yellow and came in a case about the size of a mobile phone.

Look for 'Security screwdriver bits' .

Mine has an assortment of bits, from square, to triangle, hex with a hole in the middle for those bolts with a pip to stop you removing them, Z-shaped, and even a Y, though what that fits I've yet to find out - etc!

(Note the text printed on the lid claims it is a scrawdriver set!)

/media/tinymce_upload/77280ec4b66732ca2d213639e3a05a36.JPG

The Y driver bit can also be used for cup hooks and eyes.

I bought a triangular driver from eBay for the princely sum of 99p including postage.  The triangular bits in Eric's set are too short for the Elite and Select, if they are the same as mine, and my set looks to be exactly the same.

Looking at Eric's security bit set, it doesn't appear to have a selection of the proper Triangular bits to suit the Hornby kit. The triangular bits in a set, in Eric's box are tri-wing bits which are something completely different. The triangular bits in my posted link are a better matched fit to the Hornby screws, and long enough to reach the Elite deeply recessed rear screws. The Hornby screws on my Elite have very small triangular recesses on them, so even a small tri-wing bit is unlikely to get a secure grip on them.

PS - My 2mm Triangular bit gives a good fit on my Elite screws.

/media/tinymce_upload/6598307c1fac376be1c75986ec8fbfcb.jpg

So there is.....but only a choice of one size though. And I would say, not long enough to reach the recessed depth of the rear screws on the Elite. Whereas, the ones in my link are.

Archived