Hornby R1173 The Western Master DCC Train Set with E-Link OO Gauge

conrail

Hi guys, I have a large number of loco's,all anologue, some may be DCC ready, I will have to check their boxes, , a friend has offered me the Hornby R1173 The Western Master DCC Train Set with E-Link OO Gauge, the loco I understand, although I know nothing of DCC, hence the query, has the DCC chip in but no sound, can anybody advise me on fitting the sound chip and which one I would need? all help and advice appreciated

You understand that if you fit a Hornby TTS sound decoder (there is currently no exact match TTS decoder available for the 0-6-0 pamnier tabk loco) then it will only work on digital (motor control only on analogue).

Other sound decoders from other providers may be usable on analogue.

I fitted a Tornado TTS to my pannier tank and the chuffs match well enough for the speeds I run at - see here http://www.halton96th.org.uk/article1.html

Is the Pannier Tank in the set a Hornby 4 pin decoder, and therefore a 4 pin socket?

The TTS decoders are 8 pin.

And there is the speaker...no room in the loco for the supplied speaker I am thinking...

So it would need some work to fit sound.

Soldering would seem to be required...and some re-editing...

It may be worth adding that the existing non- sound DCC decoder would be taken out, and replaced by the sound decoder.

Generally, all sound decoders also have the motor control functions, and possibly functions to control lights, etc as well.

Though there are exceptions, generally only one decoder is usually fitted to an item of rolling stock...

My speaker is the standard round one mounted on a shelf under the funnel. I had to trim the twin weights for length to get it in. The TTS decoder is hardwired and squeezed into the coal bunker. All told it was a fairly easy conversion.

Archived