Hornby decoders defaulted to run on DC

Captain_Francisco.

I have just been reading elsewhere in the forum, (playing 'catch-up,') that all hornby decoders are defaulted to allow locos to run on DC, and moreover to perform as an older DC analogue unit. ("Brake on DC  - CV29" Forum discussions.) Is this correct, and are there no adverse effects on anything, short or long term? All my DCC equipment and fittings are Hornby. I'm looking forward, with (a la "The Rocky Horror... & etc.," ) with, "anticipation," to the reply!

Then the retailer will have to rectify that or lose a sale. Have Hornby said that? 

Yes - so as you say a buyer will have to ask for a decoder equipped loco to be set for DC running before despatch. The retailer would have to check the decoder for status.

Such dirt is a common but not the only cause of DC Runaway.  Temporary shorts is another.  So DCC users need to keep everything spotless to eliminate dirt and fit snubbers to the bus to remove transients generated by shorts.  This gives them 2 belts, then they can add braces by turning off DC Running.

Believe it or not fishy I know all about what you said. So why don’t Hornby leave it to DCC users to turn off DC running, they have the technology to do it whereas we DCers don’t have the technology to turn it on?

I believe they have made an error of judgement. They could just make DC fitted locos and we DC users could buy them to run on our layouts, and you never know convert to DCC later. If they won't work on our layouts we won’t buy them. 

I did wonder why my Lord Nelson from Hornby with sound, would only work on DCC. I was about to send it back, when I remembered I bought a cheap DCC controller a couple of years ago ( it was broken so I got it cheap and fixed it), so I tried it and hey presto it worked. I don't think I read in the documentation that the DC was set to off. As I say I was about to return it, Rails had even sent me the return slip. In some respects it is good because it got me into DCC, but once I had the sound running I could not go back. I wish Hornby would put a big piece of paper in the box saying they have set it to DCC. So how does the DC user set it back if they don't have a DCC controller? 

On page 1, RAF put -

Be aware that newer Hornby decoders will have DC running set to off as default. This is to minimise DC runaway, but of course is inconvenient for DC users of DDC ready locos.

-

Disregarding the DDC typo - a DCC READY loco has the decoder SOCKET fitted, with a blanking plate - and NO DECODER, so it is a dc loco.

A DCC FITTED loco has the decoder installed.

Archived