Android Handheld app

Now that the dust has settled on the recent upgrade to the handheld app, lets review the changes.

Yes the app is more responsive, the throttle works slightly better but overall the app is still clunky. I am comparing it to Engine Driver app for Android which is FREE.

Hornby Handheld app                                                        Engine Driver

Throttle not smooth                                                           Throttle very responsive

Moves several speed step at a time                                 Can move 0ne speed step at a time

Does not respomd to touch immediately                         Immediate response to touch

Have to pay a licence fee                                                 Free from Android play store

On a phone only one loco can be controlled                    Several locomotives on same screen

Works specifically with Railmaster                                  Does not work with Railmaster                                                                                                                                                                             Come on Hornby and HRMS lets have something worth paying for.                                                                                                                                                                                                            The Engine Driver app come with a Webb based test set up so you can see how well it works without needing to connect it to a command station or other software.                                                           

In my view, if you want to use a handheld with Railmaster the only reliable solution is to use Teamviewer to mirror the PC/Laptop to your handheld an to be useable, the handheld needs to be a tablet as phones have too small a screen. If you want to use a phone, then you have to ditch Railmaster and use something else entirely. 

I don’t find using a phone a problem with my layout. 

I don’t get how you can satisfactorily use Teamviewer, as, unless I am missing something, it is very difficult to operate anything on the RailMaster screen.

If I use the HH touchscreen, I have to move its cursor to move the RM cursor to operate the functions.

If I use a mouse connected to the RM screen, use the HH screen to view the cursor motion on the RM screen, control is nigh impossible.

Hard to describe, hard to use.

Is there a correct way?

@william@David

No, not really a solution for a phone ad the screen is too small. I use a 10" tablet and it's fine for that. For me the great advantage is that it mirrors everything on the PC screen including a series of buttons and platform diagrams which are linked to run programs, route setting and sound effects such as station announcements. The Hornby handheld doesn't seem to do that. 

I have just tried a Win10 Linz 10.7” as a HH. 

This works fine, it’s touchscreen behaving as the main screen, albeit with a small lag.

Seems to be very different to my Android phone, operating as described above.

Only drawback is a 10.7” tablet is a bit large to carry around.

Archived