New Dcc conversion

Jagman24

After a gap of  60 years from my first Hornby dublo set, I have been hit by the bug again and started a new layout. However, having seen a video of a steaming and chuffing dcc engine, I’m hooked!  Can I convert my Albert Hall loco to dcc, and if so, what part numbers would I need to buy, please?  (I already have a dcc controller - bought in error).

It depends - is the usual answer to a vague question like that!

Which Hall have you got (Rxxxx)

Does the box say it is DCC Fitted - which means there is a non-sound decoder installed - you have to unplug that, and fit a sound decoder and speaker.

or

does it show DCC READY - which means there is a decoder socket already fitted, but it has a blanking - jumper - plug in place so it will work on dc.

If so, all you need is a decoder that is sound fitted, you have to remove the blanker, fit the decoder AND the speaker, and away you go.

-

If it is an earlier one, you either have to hard-wire the decoder in, or fit a socket, before you can proceed.

There are lots of threads in here on doing that.

The DCC Controller bought in error.........but which one......tell us the brand and model please as it has a bearing on what it can be used for.

TIP: As this is your very first post, just be aware that the 'Blue Button with the White Arrow' is not a 'Reply to this post' button. If you want to reply to any of the posts, scroll down and write your reply in the reply text box at the bottom of the page and click the Green 'Reply' button.

See also – further TIPs on how to get the best user experience from this forum.

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/tips-on-using-the-forum/

I would guess that the Albert Hall in question is the Tri-ang Hornby model, loco drive, with the X.04 motor, or a later version by Hornby Railways, still basically the same but with plated wheels, and possibly the sound box in the tender "Exhaust Steam Sound" from the 1970s...

So, it can be done, but will not be plug and play....

It depends - is the usual answer to a vague question like that!

Which Hall have you got (Rxxxx)

Does the box say it is DCC Fitted - which means there is a non-sound decoder installed - you have to unplug that, and fit a sound decoder and speaker.

or

does it show DCC READY - which means there is a decoder socket already fitted, but it has a blanking - jumper - plug in place so it will work on dc.

If so, all you need is a decoder that is sound fitted, you have to remove the blanker, fit the decoder AND the speaker, and away you go.

-

If it is an earlier one, you either have to hard-wire the decoder in, or fit a socket, before you can proceed.

There are lots of threads in here on doing that.

Sorry to be so vague, but as intimated I have had no comtact with model railways for over 60 years - there have been a few changes!  The model number on the box is R759, no mention of DCC.  

@ Jagman@24, welcome to the forum.

Could you please refrain from using the quote button which is the left pointing arrow in the blue box on the lower right hand side of posts? It is not usually necessary, repeats an entire post and in this instance has the potential to obscure your response.

I have removed your previous attempts [whilst you were no doubt trying to figure out how to reply] to answer Eric and hopefully he will be along shortly and will notice the last para. 

R-

Jagman,

I gave you a link to click in my very first reply above that gives you all the information you need to get the most optmum experience of using this forum. Please do read the TIPs given in them, they are there to help you.

R759 is Service Sheet 49

plus

Service Sheet 1 for the motor.....confirms that motor is an X04. So the 'How to Convert to DCC' link I gave in my second reply is an appropriate one.

When the Select R8213 powers up, three two digit numbers are displayed sequentially nn followed by 30 followed by 03. Look closely, else you might miss them. You are interested in the first number nn pair, this will tell you the firmware version. The nn number might be anything between 10 and 15 (16 is the very latest version but you are unlikely to have that yet as it is far too new).

To get the absolute best out of a Select controller you need in my opinion version 15 as the absolute minimum. So if your nn number is less than 15,  I highly recommend that you arrange with Hornby to have the Select updated to the current release (now 16).

Version 16 is particularly worthwhile because it gives you the ability to adjust and amend DCC decoder CV values that version 15 and below just can't do. Version 16 will also allow you to factory reset DCC decoders (again what version 15 and below can't do).

Select firmware updates are easy to arrange. Use the 'Contact Us' link at the bottom of the page to get a 'Returns Number' from Hornby Customer Care (HCC) call centre. Send your Select to them with a payment of £15 (currently) and wait for Hornby to send the updated Select back with a version 1.6 (16) 'How To Use' information sheet.

If your Select is currently version 1.5 (nn = 15), then consider the 1.6 upgrade as optional but recommended. If your Select is currently less than 1.5, then personally I would definitely go for the 1.6 version.

Since you mentioned 'sound decoders' as being something you are interested in. Then that is another reason for getting your Select firmware updated if it is less than version 1.5. Version 1.5 added full support for sound decoders that the previous versions lacked.

@Jagman,

Unfortunately this forum doesn't support editing of posts by ComMods. So I have had to remove your last post due to a breach of a forum rule (see 'Forum Rules' extract below). The word you used is innocent enough in its own right, but considered a 'profanity' in the context that you used it. Hence why it was not automatically captured by the forum profanity filter.

So that the rest of your post was not lost. I have replicated it again below with the offending word replaced (italics). On this occasion, the breach was not serious so no need to worry. No further action is proposed. Just be careful about what words you use in future. Just be aware that this forum may have children under 16 reading it.

/media/tinymce_upload/df2316797672adf2ad7a9636558bd282.jpg

Jagman's amended post is below:

The controller is a Hornby Select R8213 unit, which I, in my ignorance, bought to run an all-DC layout.  Since then I have been seduced by the smokes and sounds of DCC, hence my earlier question. I understand that my Albert Hall loco can be “digitised” by fitting a R8025 Sapphire decoder. I am not too good at soldering, and I suspect that my MIG Welder would be a little overkill, so I may need to farm out the actual conversion to an expert. To Community Moderator. - please accept my apologies for mucking up - the one thing in life at which I am an expert!

Archived