Which 21 pin decoder would you buy

morairamike

I have bought two 21 pin decoders in the past, one in a 2EPB and one in a 2BIL I've looked high and low for the instruction sheets but they must be somewhere safe. I am awaiting delivery of a Class 419 MLV which needs a 21 pin decoder. Have thought  but amaybe Lenznyone any other suggestions. Cheers

Depends upon what you need the decoder to do Mike. Basic functions, extended functions or sound.

Lenz silver/gold or current equivalent are usually bombproof but Sapphire is a reasonable and capable if expensive alternative.

You could chance your arm on a Zimo, DCC Concepts or even Hattons or Liais-dcc item.

I used one of those cheap ones from EBay in my Bachmann Electrical Multiple Unit. In fact I have them in a few of my locos, the 8 pin ones seem a bit more "flaky". They all seem to work OK. I must admit I just want to loco to work with DCC, I am not into changing inertia curves etc.The 21 pin decoders seem to be a lot more robust than the 8 pin, because the way they connect to the loco is much better and better designed. With the 8 bin, with all the "flylng leads" it is much easier to short things out, plus a lot of times the supplier insulates the module but leaves two nice rows of tops of pins on the connector, to touch something they shouldn't.

I bought a Laisdcc 4 function. Not heard of them before but I hope to go sound on my 3 3rd rail EMUs later so the price was good.

Thanks for the suggestions.

My other 416 has I have now found a Lenz silver as I used the assymetric function on it, but new layout is different so not going that route.

The Laisdcc was the one I was referring to. Both of my Bachmann Multiple Electric Units have one. Seems to work OK and very cheap. I am not sure it has current overload protection for the motor, but generally on reasonably new models it is not an issue.

I use Lenz Silver 21 pin which has the best motor control but is a bit pricy at circa £30 http://www.coastaldcc.co.uk/products/lenz/silver-21pin

DCC Concepts have a new Zen 218 Black which incorporates 'Brown- Out' protection ( an inbuilt form of stay-alive) and I will be trying one of these soon.http://www.coastaldcc.co.uk/products/dccconcepts/zen-black-zn218 These retail for under £25.

Archived