Airfix Class 31 fitted with Tts Sound!

Forum-1211528

I have two Airfix class 31 diesels these were made in the Mid 1970s and were last made ever in 1981! They are Heavy similar to the Triang R357 class 31 and I expect like the XO4 motor you can't DCC this loco? I know Hornby had made a TTS sound chip for the class 31 will this fit the Airfix Class 31 or will this have the same problems as the Triang Class 31?

You already know he answer Colin, so why ask the question.

Several posts have already covered converting the older motored locos to DCC and this is not any different apart from using modelling skills to find space for a suitable sized speaker.

The Airfix 31 is easy to make DCC as are the old X. Series motors. Someone has been giving you wrong info again Colin.  The Tri-ang X series power bogies and the X.03/4 motors are probably the easiest motors to convert. Often it's a case of "can the decoder you have chosen, handle the stall current".  There's miles of room to put a speaker into a Tri-ang 31, 35, 37, Al1, EM2 and an Aitfix 31

I would agree. I want to convert my Wrenn locos to DCC, so I asked the Supplier who I get most of my sound modules from, and they said as long as I picked a DCC decoder with a large current capacity (Zimo was suggested) then no issue. So an X. 03/04 should be possible as well. They did say to check the current with it running just to be sure. I know on virtually all my Wrenns, I had to change the magnets and they were drawing a lot too much current. The biggest issue with the early locos I have found is they generally don't have mainy pickups on the wheels, so don't run that smoothly, and the early Mainline/Bachmanns have very little space to fit a decoder.

This has been addressed many times before - for locos with current draw beyond TTS spec, fit TTS for sound only and a high current decoder for movement.  Only works for diesel though as there is then no feedback for chuff rate on steam.  So would work here.

OK I have an AIrfix Castle can you DCC that Steam Loco!

yes

Jane the Castle would be fine on DCC but when Kader made these Class 31s in the Seventies they used a lot of power like the Triang R357 Class 31! They are risky putting a standard TTS sound chip in an Airfix Class 31 but both in it and the Triang version there's plenty of room to put the sound chip and speaker but is it worth doing this on fifty year old locos?

so my question is, am i being asked or am i being told ?

You may never find out. Usually Colin sets a hare running by way of a rant or questions already answered by the forum in principle, then leaves folk to argue about it amongst themselves.

so my question is, am i being asked or am i being told ?

You may never find out. Usually Colin sets a hare running by way of a rant or questions already answered by the forum in principle, then leaves folk to argue about it amongst themselves.

Jane she asked me about the Airfix Castle it can as my Pendennis Castle has one and I was telling her she can do it as its a it easier than the Airfix Class 31 as I'm putting a DCC concepts chip in there as that will make the loco work fine  but the TTS I don't think so!

Archived