Pit Lane - Phantom Drivers!

RevPeteW

Hi everyone.

New here and first post, so please go easy if I’ve put this in the wrong section. Thanks.

I’ve just got into Scalextric and gone a bit nuts building a large Scalextric digital layout at work. For us all to have a weekly race evening. I’m using an ARC Pro set up and have installed a pit lane (also has the Pit Lane game). 

The pit lane is what I’m having trouble with.

Upon approach to the pit, I slow the car and press to change. The lane changes perfectly but the cars continue driving around to a further part of the track (maybe 6ft) on their own, as in I don’t have my finger on the trigger. It’s like they’re possessed haha.

I’ve tried 3 different cars plus, I’ve tried it with and without the Pit Lane game. Same phantom drivers in every way.

Any assistance or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and regards,

Pete

Hi Pete - welcome to the forum!

Setting up a large Scalextric digital layout at work sounds perfectly divine :-)

Your problem is strange... My first question is whether this happens when you are running both with and without the ARC app connected? That would suggest whether it is an app (software) issue or a hardware issue.

A second question is whether this happens only when you enter the pits - or does it happen when you lift off at other parts of the track - including over the powerbase, lane changers etc? Can you describe in detail, what happens - changes in speed, sounds, brief accelerations, behaviour of LEDs on the powerbase and controller. Is it always exactly 6 feet? Does the car stop in exactly the same place?

The Pit Lane Game isn't designed to work with ARC Pro, although it is a stand-alone device and shouldn't interfere with the basic functioning of the ARC Pro system. You said you removed it and the problem persisted.

Let us know the answers to those two questions and we can try and figure out what is causing the possession...

Hi Woodcote and thanks for the welcome.

Also thanks for coming back to me, appreciate it.

1st answer: I ran out of time at work unfortunately, so haven’ tried the app. Will do first thing  

2nd answer: Only happens at the pits and stops in the same place - it’s weird. My Slot.it car with the SSD chip works ok but it’s the Scalextric digital cars that drive themselves.

Thanks again for coming back to me, I’m really scratching my head.

Best regards  

Hi Pete - welcome to the forum!

Setting up a large Scalextric digital layout at work sounds perfectly divine :-)

Your problem is strange... My first question is whether this happens when you are running both with and without the ARC app connected? That would suggest whether it is an app (software) issue or a hardware issue.

A second question is whether this happens only when you enter the pits - or does it happen when you lift off at other parts of the track - including over the powerbase, lane changers etc? Can you describe in detail, what happens - changes in speed, sounds, brief accelerations, behaviour of LEDs on the powerbase and controller. Is it always exactly 6 feet? Does the car stop in exactly the same place?

The Pit Lane Game isn't designed to work with ARC Pro, although it is a stand-alone device and shouldn't interfere with the basic functioning of the ARC Pro system. You said you removed it and the problem persisted.

Let us know the answers to those two questions and we can try and figure out what is causing the possession...

Thanks Pete - no need to test. If it's happening without the app, then it's not the app that's causing the problem.

Seems there's something not quite right about the pit lane. SSD cars can 'runaway' if they lose the digital signal, usually due to a brief power drop-out. The chip defaults to 'analogue' mode and then the full track power kicks in, usually causing a brief acceleration which might mean the car 'running-on' for a couple of feet on zero throttle as if it were possessed. That's why I asked about any changes of speed, noises, accelerations. Six feet is just about possible... a longer digital drop-out usually ends up with the car launched into the scenery! Some version of the Scalextric digital chip are more prone to runaways than others - are all your cars and chips very recent, or do you have some from 10 years or so ago?

Two things to suggest: First is to rebuild the pit lane (without the Pit Lane Game?), paying careful attention to the connections between any single-lane half straights (they are notoriously flimsy) and tightening the tabs underneath - https://www.scalextric.com/uk-en/support/track-maintenance

The second thing is to use some Inox MX3 on the braids of your cars. This Australian lubricant has a magical effect on SSD tracks in particular, improving the conductivity and communication of the digital signals. Most people put a drop on each braid and then run the cars round for a few laps at the start of the racing session. A small 60ml bottle should last for years. INOX is now available in the UK here: https://www.pendleslotracing.co.uk/brand/inox.html

Those two suggestions may or may not solve the issue. Let us know...

Hi Woodcote.

Sorry for the late reply, the forum wouldn’t let me for 24 hours.

Ok, so tested again and still did the same no matter what I did.

I ended up putting it back to the main straight, where it was before and.... hey presto it works! Very strange.

Thanks again for your help, absolutely amazing, and for the welcome but I think I’m just going to leave it and race. 

I’m just putting the finishing touches with borders/barriers all around the track. Hopefully there’s a section to show it. Unfortunately it’s on the floor but it is quite large haha.

Thanks and regards

Thanks Pete - no need to test. If it's happening without the app, then it's not the app that's causing the problem.

Seems there's something not quite right about the pit lane. SSD cars can 'runaway' if they lose the digital signal, usually due to a brief power drop-out. The chip defaults to 'analogue' mode and then the full track power kicks in, usually causing a brief acceleration which might mean the car 'running-on' for a couple of feet on zero throttle as if it were possessed. That's why I asked about any changes of speed, noises, accelerations. Six feet is just about possible... a longer digital drop-out usually ends up with the car launched into the scenery! Some version of the Scalextric digital chip are more prone to runaways than others - are all your cars and chips very recent, or do you have some from 10 years or so ago?

Two things to suggest: First is to rebuild the pit lane (without the Pit Lane Game?), paying careful attention to the connections between any single-lane half straights (they are notoriously flimsy) and tightening the tabs underneath - https://www.scalextric.com/uk-en/support/track-maintenance

The second thing is to use some Inox MX3 on the braids of your cars. This Australian lubricant has a magical effect on SSD tracks in particular, improving the conductivity and communication of the digital signals. Most people put a drop on each braid and then run the cars round for a few laps at the start of the racing session. A small 60ml bottle should last for years. INOX is now available in the UK here: https://www.pendleslotracing.co.uk/brand/inox.html

Those two suggestions may or may not solve the issue. Let us know...

• 2 weeks later...