orphan products

Buz

Hi all

I would like to see an end to Hornby's Fascination with orphan products

Ie products that can't be combined into complete trains.

Wemys (spelling) loco has been done, wagons have been done but no Wemys brake van train incomplete. Hornby would have been better off just making the wagons.

So where is the brake van I need it to finish the train

WC&PR locomotive has been done no balcony coaches wagons or brake van train nothing like complete Hornby why bother loco on its own useless

Pre grouping locomotives with little or no stock to go with them so incomplete trains I personally want to have complete trains

If I can buy the locomotive I quite reasonably expect to be able to get the rest of the train..

If I cannot then there is no point getting the locomotive is there.

regards John

Hi walkingthedog

Well if you can point me at an NBR brake van plastic kit and suitable Wemys decals I will happily build it to finish the train.

So far the only kit I have found is brass and out of my price range and the less said about my soldering skills the better.

The good alternative would be the modern (pin point bearings) Triang  NE like brake van which with decals would be close enough, so far can only find very battered through metal axle boxes version of the van.

I use the term modern some what loosely but think it just about fits.

Regards John

I have scratch built wagons using Plasticard / Evergreen which isn't as terrifying as it might sound. Best thing is to find a suitable chassis which is always going to be the difficult part, and then build a body on that.

Here are some I made earlier.

/media/tinymce_upload/33f3fbd77ef1f297c02c3703b2182ac2.JPG

SE&CR 'Dance Hall' Brakevan (Uses Airfix/Dapol GWR Toad Brake underframe, and 1.5 Airfix/Dapol/Hornby S.R. goods van roof moulding)

/media/tinymce_upload/5c9503542ca976792175c8c1193b6f4f.JPG

Diagram 1/635 Diesel Engine Carrier   (Uses Airfix / Dapol BR Brake Van kit for underframe)

/media/tinymce_upload/609eeabcac8423e990749d58d64f3c3b.JPG

SE&CR (SER) Goods Brakevan (Uses Peco Wonderful Wagon wheelsets including axleguards etc.)

Hi Walkingthedog

Yes they do make some odd choices.

In this instance a well meaning relative bought the loco as a gift when I was going through a difficult time.

It gave me something to do find out who or what Wemys was which led to the discovery of a source for Hornby LTD Edition Wemys wagons I cleared out the last of them which gave enough wagons for a train.

The fact the loco was catalogue and wagons where limited edition annoying to say the least defiantly a HUH!??? moment when that was discovered

Just need a suitable brake van now as Wemys had their own rail network .

Oh! and to change dream layout plan to include exchange sidings now where did i put that suggested plan for exchange sidings small enough for what I have and will take the train to private fiddle yard and back to main line.

regards John

The railway at Weymss was a colliery system in Scotland which carried coal from the collieries around Kircaldy to the coast, at Methil docks. It was a very extensive system which operated very much like a normal railway. It used brake vans, and the line had signals. I lasted until the late 1960s.

There are other systems in England, Scotland and Wales which were similar, and which also passed to the National Coal Board in 1947. 

A few to mention -

NCB

Waterside, Ayrshire

Ashington, Northumberland

Backworth, Northumberland

Burradon, Northumberland

Lambton Railway, Co. Durham

Bowes Railway, Co. Durham

Walkden, Lancashire

Maesteg, Glamorganshire

Mountain Ash, Glamorganshire

Docks

Manchester Ship Canal

Port of London Authority

There were many more, but these are probably the largest.

Archived