Britannia Class TTS Decoder R7143

ifair365

7 of the 8 TTS fitted locos I have were DCC ready and have not had the motor suppressors removed as they have no effect on the DCC signal.  All my Bachmann Loksound fitted locos have the same factory fitted suppression fitted without issue...Years ago when I first started with DCC some of the locos I started with needed decoders hardwired and with advice from this Forum, I removed the suppression capacitors but more recently I haven't bothered as no difference has been experienced........however the capacitor in the track connector must be removed as noted many times on the Forum.......HB

7 of the 8 TTS fitted locos I have were DCC ready and have not had the motor suppressors removed as they have no effect on the DCC signal.  All my Bachmann Loksound fitted locos have the same factory fitted suppression fitted without issue...Years ago when I first started with DCC some of the locos I started with needed decoders hardwired and with advice from this Forum, I removed the suppression capacitors but more recently I haven't bothered as no difference has been experienced........however the capacitor in the track connector must be removed as noted many times on the Forum.......HB

Although the capacitors on the motor have no effect on the DCC signal, they can and often do interfere with the back emf generated by the motor causing poor running.

I have many locos where I have left the motor capacitors in place but if I have any running problems they get removed.

• 9 months later...

Rog,

Many thanks.

6 week-old decoder had run fine, then started playing up. It is fitted in a Clan, bought second-hand and preciously unloved.

After installation, l use a rolling road to confirm and an ESU test-board. It passed all this, with flying colours, went on the layout and started to mis-behave.

Retested, and it continued to misbehave, so that it moved on to have its capacitor removed.

A bit like having your tonsils out as a precaution when a kid.

As usual,  went in and snipped out the capacitor as none of mine keep theirs for long anyway.

It cured the speed lock-out after initial start-up and is now performing satisfactorily.

Fully endorse your comments, and advocate their advised actions.

I usually remove the capacitor across Hornby motors as I had one go short circuit which took out the decoder, I never bother on other makes. I agree it shouldn't make any difference but in some cases it seems to. I can think of a couple of reasons it might cause issues, but on the other hand I can think of a reason why it should make it better. Who knows? I noticed on my J15 DC adapter, it had them fitted to the circuit board, so perhaps when you replace the header they disappear. 

BEMF is used by TTS Steam to control chiff/coast so essential it is correct, hence the advice to remove motor caps. Diesel TTS does not use BEMF in the same way but as Colin has stated these motor caps when they go usually take out the decoder as well.