Working Steam for Steam Trains etc.

TrainLover16

Problem is always going to be that smoke, like water, doesn't work to scale, the molecules don't reduce so they stick together in an unrealistic and whispy way. Also the exhaust from a steam locomotive is a mixture of coal smoke, ash and steam, each of which woks in a slightly different way. 

The sight of a real locomotive billowing steam from its chimney and leaving a white trail which stretches out behind the train is undoubtedly a stirring sight, even a mile or more away it was possible to watch a steam train crossing the countryside by the white steam trail that followed it. Something impossible to create on a model. Even miniature passenger carrying locomotives 7.5 inch gauge or larger do not achive the same effect as a real standard gauge locomotive. 

Pity but Physics won't allow it!

Tri-ang Hornby used to offer Synchrosmoke .... A gear driven piston caused the smoke oil to come out in puffs .... For a short time between refills.

A similar effect is available today  'electronically' with Massoth ( G scale) pulsed outputs including from the cylinders as well as chimney. Gauge 1 or 0 models can also have similar units .....but does it match a real loco ????

Well fired steam in mid run has little visible exhaust ?  Dirty Smoke from poor coal .....would coat your layout ?  .... As did the steam oil.

Perhaps a more practical effect is to envelop the entire layout in 'fog' with a stage/disco smoke generator ..... Trains really can disappear into  ' the distance'

And colour light signals ( or illuminated semaphores ) and coach lighting and locos with lighting / firebox glow  bring home the winter effect of London smog ( pre clean air act days).  Street lighting and illuminated buildings come into their own too!

Dark smoke (clag) was a sign of either poor maintenance or poor firing. Although beloved of railway photographers this was frowned upon by 'the authorities', There are many instructional films, this  is one of my favourites - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9ZDg5IS0oU Little and Often, made by the LMS before the War.

Except on very warm days locomotives would usually have a banner of white steam trailing behind. Steam is transparent as it leaves the chimney but shortly after it hits the air it will condense into white vapour, in truth a cloud of water droplets just like clouds. 

I can well remember standing on the high point of Mayplace golf course from where it was possible to see the river Thames in the far distance and beyond it just on the edge of vision it was possible to make out the white vapour trails of London, Tilbury and Southend section trains as they passed across Aveley Marshes towards Rainham three miles or more away. Similarly from my school playground next to Shenstone Park it was possible to see passing goods trains by their steam as they travelled between Crayford and Bexley.  Tantalising glimpses.

I had not come across the Little and Often in my searches – many thanks LC&DR for this interesting original film. Now I move from the sublime to the silly. My grandson complained about lack of smoke on the layout and on a whim I broke the end from a cotton bug and teased out the cotton wool. I put the plastic stub into the chimney and – hey presto – I had an engine with a plume of white smoke. Total success with grandchildren but perhaps not so realistic with older modellers. I am sure that others have done this before so I claim no ownership but I put it forward as a (not real) smoke option in certain circumstances!