Tinned cable

pgcroc

Hi. I have found a marine hardware and fixings company that supplies fully tinned 1.5 mm and 2.5 mm cable (i.e. the whole length is tinned).

Thought this would save a lot of work with droppers etc. 

I don't know if the tinning would be compatible with 60/40 tin/lead solder.

Does anybody have any experience of this type of cable?

Pete 

Am I allowed to post a link here?

Yes

The only caveat for this would be as long as you are not involved with the seller. In other words, you are not deriving any personal financial benefit from promoting the product or seller.

I don't know if the tinning would be compatible with 60/40 tin/lead solder.

Yes it would be compatible.

Hi

You will still have to pre tin with solder the rail or other wire(s) to be jointed.   Plus it may well be necessary to apply a further coat of solder to the pre tinned wire anyway just to aid soldering process! 

IMO save money and buy conventional copper wire and a reel of 60/40 cored solder (Not lead free) and just tin the wires end or the stripped area with the hot soldering iron and cored solder.  Simples :-)

Hi Chris

I was just trying to cut down the soldering underneath the baseboard.

Am aware that all the other wires need tinning and soldering.

On one of my designs there are 140+ pieces of track excuding points.

2 x 140 = 280 points to tin on the bus cable. ☹️

I am scared to count how many droppers I will have to do! 

There are always mechanical connectors I suppose. 😳

Pete

Hi all

Pre tinned wire will be fine the real railways use it where ever possible including all the digital and communications stuff that goes into modern railways.

They use both mechanical and soldered joints on pre tinned wire

To know about solder compatibility you would need to check the manufacturers specification but it should be alright.

Its big advantage is that it helps with corrosion protection a very big need in the kinds of conditions real railways run in.

But do consider the cost it will be more expensive than ordinary automotive wire which is perfectly adequate for model railway wiring

I have joined pre tinned wire easily enough basically twist the two wires together and then solder the wire is pre tinned but like an un-tinned wire its tin then solder connection remembering the wire is pre tinned so doesn't need tinning and resist the temptation to tug the joint to test it they don't like that kind of test and do heat shrink the joint to insulate it from anything around it.

regards John