How to disassemble 14T Tank Wagon

mickster04

Hi, Mickster04,welcome to the forum.

I have used a old wagon in photos, straps were already broken.

I have a earlier version of this tanker to hand and it seems that the fine 'wire straps' are only a push fit at the bottom, and locate into a recess in the chassis.

These are not glued in position. so can be removed then the tank lifted upwards.

If you want to remove the cradel, left on the chassis, there are two locating lugs in the middle of the cradel, two each side, which push fit into the chassis.

These are a tight fit so I suggest you put the tanker in warm water before attempting removal.They are very easy to break, so you may have to glue back in position.

Note later models may be glued.

photo shows lugs eased out.

/media/tinymce_upload/77762117ff45778264d6cc42e44424b7.JPG

/media/tinymce_upload/9b622cf89c294a64dabe72741955a06e.JPG

/media/tinymce_upload/cfbf2850d606a092f13a5daf6b614d94.JPG

Note this is the 3rd. type tanker 1974,there are 1980 and 1998 version which are different.

Hello Mickster04

I also have the very same "West Coast Highlander set R1157". It is a very good set because you do get all the extra sign, Telegraph Poles etc but my question is to you - why in the 1st place do you want to risk  disassemble it without breaking the cables that cover it??? There is nothing special inside - it is just a plastic tube & I have no intenion of Taking mine apart!!! I could understand if you wanted to take apart the Loco but again why the Yellow DJS Petroleum Tanker???

/media/tinymce_upload/045662af9aea657abc03ada5f937e1e5.jpg

Thanks for the feedback guys! 

@New lad on the block, really appreciate the photos, they really clarify the situation!

@jimyjames, as you say, the kit is a really good bargain, especially if you consider that a specific liverpudlian retailer has them for 52GBP. I considered this a better deal than the santa's express set with more track, lots of accessories and an extra two wagons! I therefore decided I would make my own santa set. I want to use the Oil tanker as Santa's Milk (hence the need to take it apart, i only want to paint the tank, not the rest of the wagon), put "presents" in the open wagons, and find something to label the vanwide with. The idea of toy parts perhaps, or reindeer meal? I will also be painting the driver and fireman in red uniforms :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Brushes apply the paint too thick, and airbrush is a much finer finish. and it worked very well once the tank was out, that, and trying to free hand paint is quite difficult and get good consistant lines.

The job is now done and I am grateful for the advice and pictures from new lad on the block, who was able to provide me with the most useful details answering the question I had.