Castle Class Locomotive & Tender Coupling

Mark66

Hi,

Note: New to Model Railways

How do I couple up a Castle class locomotive to its tender?  I have what I think is called a drawbar sticking out of the loco but not sure how it attaches  to the tender. It’s a C shape. There is also  a screw under the tender.

Help please....

Thanks 

Mark

At a guess I would imagine that the C shaped bar clips firmly onto the vertical pole on the tender. It may be that the vertical pole has broken off, or the C bar is worn or the vertical pole is worn or both are worn, such that the C clip doesn't stay attached under tension load.

/media/tinymce_upload/78eb20befbe65c73191facbf14ea212a.jpg

PS - This is only a guess based on the drawing as I have not personally seen this type of coupling before. The drawing may help other's to recognise this coupling type and provide a more accurate reply.

TIP: As this is your very first question, just be aware that the 'Blue Button with the White Arrow' is not a 'Reply to this post' button. If you want to reply to any of the posts, scroll down and write your reply in the reply text box at the bottom of the page and click the Green 'Reply' button.

Particularly as my reply includes an image. If you use the blue button, any reply you write, may be held back for image approval. Even though it is already a previously published image.

See also – further TIPs on how to get the best user experience from this forum.

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/tips-on-using-the-forum/

If that was my loco I would be dismantling the tender until I could locate a complete closed link on the tender post and if needed in future disconnect at the loco screw making sure to keep tabs on that spring. Having such a snap on connection is against all my engineering principles. It doesn’t look as if there is any need to transfer power across tht link.

Nice bit of picture fettling Chris, to bring all the bits closer for illustrative purposes.