Adding ballast

keithp1707821843

• 1 month later...

With the track laid and tested, lay the ballast exactly where you want it. I use a tea spoon and add a bit at a time. I brush the ballast into place before tamping it down with the small piece of wood. Once happy, lightly spray track and ballast with water from a spray bottle. 

Using a small syringe or dropper, apply a mixture of pva/water to which a few drops of washing up liquid have been added. 

Work slowly, a drop at a time. 

Then leave to dry. 

Rob. 

OK thanks.

I now have all the various items and am ready to have a go. I am very grateful for all the advice, my intention is to ballast the long straight section first, and do the two points later. They are the bit I am most worried about(!), for this first layout I am quite happy if the ballst around them is not as good as the rest, as long as they work. Another post I made told of one set where power keeps being lost, so I really dont want any more problems.At least this is a test before I actually try a larger circular layout.

Being happy with the running of my layout, I finaly got round to ballasting a few weeks ago. Using a 'fine' chip ballast this is the result which I'm more than happy with and the track is Hornbys set track

Thanks for the image - very very impressive. My first attempt is only a single line with two points going right. I have got some grass and bushes, so once I lay the ballast I will have a go at the other 'secnics'. I was interested to hear how long your layout took? Oh and where did the models come from - I like the hut.

Keith

• 3 weeks later...

Ok one more question please.

I am using the standard hornby power clip for this first layout.

What is the best way to deal with the ballast around the clip? If I put the ballast over the clip - will it still work - if I remove it and ballast the track will it still fit? Or would you suggest just painting the area a grey, and leave the ballast off.

I know people dont use the clips, but I am for this first attempt.

Keith

I don't use the clips myself, but I would suggest painting the area grey and ballasting around the clip so that it is still removable. They are a fault liability, and as such (in my opinion) need to be removable for cleaning and maintenance.

Ok thanks. This is the first time I have tried ballasting, so I have only done a single section. I made the glue using about 50% glue/ water - probably too much. At the moment it is set in the plastic bottom half of a coke bottle - not sure I have a spare jar to hand. Also in my haste I forgot the washing up liquid! Looking at the track it looks ok(?), I assume I can just add the wsahing up liquid - otherwise I might just throw it and start again tomorrow.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a couple more questions please.

I have now finished the ballast, I took my time and am happy with the overall result. Now to the points - I have two sets - both Hornby. I followed the Everard video and used a neat glue mix to add the ballast and have checked the movement for the last three hours all ok so far. But I have not applied any ballast anywhere near the 'central' box area, its the bit that connects to the switch. I was wondering if other people do spread the ballast around this area or just leave it. Only looking at the magazines it seems people ballast the lot, if so I wondered how.