decoder problem

jbcontrol

hi again,more problems, back in the summer on a day out i purchased a gaugemaster decoder dcc27 omni loco decoder which i have just hard wired to a britannia class 7P6F (r 063)
upon trying to set it up my system could not read the decoder, but after several attempts it actually read it. i then ran it on the main track and it worked reasonably well but kept stopping and what seemed to about 1 second( may have been a lot less)started off again. after moving about 2-3 cm it would stop again , then go. this could happen 4 or 5 times then it would work ok again .This happened in various parts of the track and even stopped on a down hill stretch..I though this may be due to setting in the decoder so tried to read it , but however many times i try to do it it always says it is unable to read it.i have checked and read 2 other locos which it does easily  and the britannia still responds to the control.  Any ideas or suggestions,or even any comments about the decoder itself will all be gratefully received.

running railmaster pro through windows 10 on laptop

Try writing value 8 to CV8 using RM. this will put the address back to 3 so if it then reads it as 3 you know the reset has worked.

Have you tried right clicking (or is it double clicking) on CV7 and seeing if the dcc27 is in the drop down list, if so select it and the read process should carry on.

On another forum a member reported he has been having persistent problems with dcc27 decoders to the extent that he has sent them all back for a refund. No doubt others have never had a moments trouble from them.

Use the forum search box to search for "DCC27" I found 5 pages of posts using the 'search post content' option plus two threads dedicated to DCC27 issues using the 'search post title' option.

sorry, i replied quickly after reading only part of RAF 96,s reply so thanks to every one, i did try putting 8 into cv 8, but it did not work. secondly the decoder must be in the list for it to operate the loco in the first place.  and there was no address number initally, but i put 9 in, and that works it.  also thanks to Chrissaf , i did not look in the search, but will do now.

... the decoder must be in the list for it to operate the loco in the first place.  and there was no address number initally, but i put 9 in, and that works it...

Any decoder will work with RM if NMRA compliant. It doesn’t have to be in that list at all. The purpose of the list is to bring up the correct CV set when the decoder is recognised by Cv7.