Fix track foam or ply?

GridNorth

I have 12mm Ply screwed to the top of two desks in an L shape. Should I fix my track direct to the ply or glue some 5mm or 10mm XPS foam to the ply to use that as the base?  The latter would seem to have the advantage of being able to create some relief to the layout.

Al

I believe that consensus would favour the direct to ply approach, maybe with 3mm sheet / strip cork glued to the board under the track.

I don't know about others, but I would advocate 50-60mm thickness of XPS ( building insulation, fireproofed/ retardent foam ) as a base layer, and spots of copydex latex adhesive to secure the track / other bits.

This will encourage 3D scenery with dips and hills, and wiring can be channelled into or through the foam.

(you may wish to line the channels to stop the pvc platicisor from flex attacking the foam)

Deep enough for Dapol Signals - and strong enough to be self-supporting  without uneccessary weight.

Track can be lifted if a change of mind occurs -as can added scenery lumps - yet the adhesive is sufficient to safely secure everything.   

(Avoid spreading it continuously across te surfaces to be joined as this makes adjacent items part of the same item!  A sharp knife would be needed to cut the stretchy rubber holding them! )

PVA can alternatively be used to fix bits together - BUT a very rigid join is made  (copydex is rigid enough when dry)   However, in both cases, avoid leaning over the layout when gluing and wearing new, clean clothes .... although both CAN be removed with solvents later ... don't make it worse at the time 8-)

Hi GridNorth

Solid ply Wood foundation for me.

But if you really want lots of up and down in the scenery.

How about considering an open grid approach or the American "L" girder approach to the bench work track can be level but scenery can go up and down to your hearts content.

regards John