Pendolino

Guest Chrissaf

Have a pendalino works fine on  normal 12 volt controller with blank in place trying to get it dcc operational  but it's dead if I revert back to normal 12 volt great runs fine tried replacing pcb that's not worked noticed connections to pcb are dry connected using small plastic clips do not appear great but do not want to solder with heat getting into pcb any clues 

There is obviously a fault with that power car. Lift the board with the socket on it and look closely with a magnifier for stray solder tracking or a break in the pcb tracks, etc. Having a multi-meter would probably help with fault finding. Often such a fault as solder tracking is of no problem on DC but manifests once a decoder is put into circuit.

Despite those seemingly poor wire clips I have found they are reliable once fitted correctly over the wires. Never had one fall off.

Take a look at Service Sheets 300 (7-pin decoder fitted) and 302 (DCC Ready with blank fitted). You will see the (all black) wires coming from the motor and the motor bogie pickups. Also the pickup wires from the dummy bogie.

I would like to bet the motor and motor bogie pickup wires are transposed on one side or the other and hence cross connected at the main PCB. This means it will run on DC as the blanking plate just connects the pickup on each side to the motor, but not when you put a decoder in circuit as we need the pickups to feed the decoder and the decoder to feed the motor.

Use a multi-meter to check which wire is from the motor and which is from the bogie and make sure they are connected to the main PCB correctly. In addition check that the front bogie pickup wires are connected side to side the same as the motor bogie.