Damaged wheels on Caledonian 0-4-0 Pug

6233 DoS

Hi All, a technical question if I may. I have a 1980-81 Caledonian 0-4-0 Pug like the one below.

http://www.hornbyguide.com/catalogue_images/1980_r057.jpg

Possibly due to wear, perhaps due to previously dirty wheels and track (all clean now), the wheels arc with sparks and the rims are blemished and no longer smooth. Indeed a couple of flanges are chipped like the below (far wheel flange).

I would find a scrapped loco with a good chassis strip the wheels off both chassis  and replace the damaged ones with good ones or just replace the bad chasssis with the good one if a perfect match ( there are 3 types of 040 chassis) or just buy a new chassis from New Modellers shop or Peters spares etc.,. the wheels are finished fit for a wagon load only. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All

Trying again as i had a problem uploading pictures:

Hi All, a technical question if I may. I have a 1980-81 Caledonian 0-4-0 Pug like the one below.

Possibly due to wear, perhaps due to previously dirty wheels and track (all clean now), the wheels arc with sparks and the rims are blemished and no longer smooth. Indeed a couple of flanges are chipped like the below (far wheel flange).

So how best is it to fix? And how easy is it?

Should I replace the whole wheels or just the tyres? Or is a new rolling chassis the best solution. The former is preferred but how easy is it to do?

Pictures below and advice is gratefully received:

/media/tinymce_upload/4f0e91cbdebd0b2d784f52703220c47d.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/94b62b7048d65022160c9154aa5ed4c5.JPG

/media/tinymce_upload/cf303fb6508829e2b3fd652c0e12fedf.JPG

It is easier just to replace the whole motor and chassis As they are relatively cheap and much less hassle than trying to replace wheels sets. The damage to those wheels by the way looks like corrosion, probably from being stored for a long time in dampish conditions.

Scroll down this page to find Motor-Chassis for the 0-4-0. Compare your chassis with those on service sheet 200 as there are several variants with different cylinders, etc.

https://www.newmodellersshop.co.uk/hornby_spares_motors_and_gears.htm

You can also try Peters Spares and even Hornby but watch out for heavy postage charges.

WOW - That wheel that you have circled - the flange bit almost looks flat!!! Taking things apart is easy - now putting thing back together - now that's the challange!!!

/media/tinymce_upload/b5df7f2538d5b8d1b2d8457d496e9f05.JPG

I think that if you want to take the body off the Chassis - the middle screw is to hold the motor on & the left screw is to hold the body on (might be clip on 1 end as well - don't ever force something it it won't go - don't want to break it!!!)

yes there are a couple of areas where the flange is flat and indeed in places quite spikey sharp. On running, sparks arc between the wheels and the track which also causes blemishes / scorch marks on both surfaces. I suspect that this arcing weakens the metal flanges too. Amazing what even low power electricity can do...!

yes there are a couple of areas where the flange is flat and indeed in places quite spikey sharp. On running, sparks arc between the wheels and the track which also causes blemishes / scorch marks on both surfaces. I suspect that this arcing weakens the metal flanges too. Amazing what even low power electricity can do...!

And thank you RAF96 for the chassis replacement - they aren't expensive as you say. And perhaps a new one will be differently geared - my one is far too quick and easily gets wheel slip as the increase in power from the motor is not linear. Wheel slip can also cause excessive wear too, of course.

But it will be a bit of a Triggers Broom now...!