Testing R8249 Decoders

96RAF

You can either buy a ready made tester which will support a wide range of decoder socket types. An ESU 53900 for example. I have an ESU 53900 and it is a very good bit of DCC kit and can test virtually any type of decoder pin and socket arrangement you can find in the DCC market place, including 'sound' decoders......as it also has a 'speaker on-board'.

Or you can make your own that just handles the Hornby 8 pin plug/socket type decoders such as the R8249 or any other branded 8 pin decoder. If you have a bit of soldering skill, you can knock one up quite easily using some Vero-board copper strip board, 8 pin socket, resistors and LEDs. The only other component needed is a 12 volt motor. The circuit schematic would look something like this.

/media/tinymce_upload/8d8da46613283c773b064f13891dab3b.jpg

The schematic above was drawn for the decoder installation of a 'hard wired' loco, but it is just as relevant as a circuit for the basis of a tester.

The Wheel pickups in the above schematic would just be a wired connection to the 'Track Output' of your controller. Additionally, you would only need 2 white and 2 red LEDs, not eight as shown in the schematic. In addition to the basic white and red LEDs, two more LEDs would need to be included to test the green and purple wire functions. All the parts needed to build your own basic tester such as 8 pin decoder sockets are readily available on the likes of ebay.

The purple wire on the decoder is a free wire lead, so a tester would just need a screw-down terminal on it to allow the purple wire to be attached.

It really wouldn't be very difficult to build. I have seen something very similar published as an article in Model Railway magazines such as BRM.

EDIT: HB posted whilst I was still preparing my reply.

Although I also have an ESU decoder test rig and very good they are too, as they still say on Blue Peter, here is one I made earlier, before I bought the commercial one...

http://www.halton96th.org.uk/article4.html

As Chris says they are simple to make requiring very few components and just a bit of soldering skill. In fact if anyone was just learning to solder they make a good build project.

Is there anyway of testing the R2849 decoders "off the track".  I have just swamped over from one loco to another, something I have done several times before an R2849 decoder into a loco that is perfect on 12V DC but now not working with the decoder ! I have re-addressed the decoder with the same address as before ( 8) and on a programming track and all seemed ok with all the correct red lights flashing etc.. But still not working. Checked out again on 12V DC and loco all good !   All my stock is either Mainline or Airfix so decoders all retro fitted. Contol is with the Elite coupled to a Select and all decoders  Hornby R 2849

I converted my Mainline locos and found that the DCC current was an issue. I used a 6 pin connector as this was the smallest. Wired in the 6 pin socket and initially used DCC Supplies 6 pin decoders. These failed in one way or another. Replaced them with Bachmann 6 pin right angled ones and it was perfect. I checked with DCC Supplies and they suggested it was over current that damaged their devices, so perhaps with the Hornby you are near the current limit. I am pretty sure it is the motor statup current that is the issue.

Having had so many issues with DCC decoders and damaging them when I put them into other locos to test them, I splashed out on a tester. It is wonderful, I had a LaisDcc decoder that I was using as a function decoder, when it stopped working. Put it on the tester in programming mode and it did exactly what I wanted, the one I have ( LaisDCC, no association with the Company) flashes a Led to tell you something is happening, and it is easy. Best thing I spent my money on.