Best cars for analogue Sports track?

Steve K.

Any recommendations for cars to use on my Sports track? (My current lane length is 20 ft, but I will probably extend to around 30 ft).

I'm currently using the Boxsters which came with the WBR set. These are pretty good but would like to try some others. Used to find the Williams F1 cars were very good on my old (50 ft) sports track but don't really know anything about any of the cars on sale now.

OH boy... asking for the "best" is a bit like decribing the perfect life partner... to each his/her/its own!

It really depends on what you are trying to acheive.

Do you want a grid that represents a similar period?

Do you want cars that perform more or less the same?

Do you want a particular race series?

Do you race alone or with friends or clubs?

What is the airspeed of a fully laden swallow?

With or without magnets?

If you are simply trying to have some cars that run well and are predictable (i.e. don't seem to lose control easily) you can take just about any car and tweak it (without modifying its appearance) to perform very well.

Here are som Top Tips.

And Christmas may come early....

All the current cars come fitted with traction magnets. The Super-Resistant cars (like the Team GT cars) tend to be more 'stuck down' - slightly more so than the Boxsters. The mechanicals of all the cars are almost identical to the Boxsters, so not much has changed.

If you like the Boxsters (as I do) and want a recommendation for a 20-30 foot analogue Sport track, I'd go for a pair of BTCC Honda Civics or - at a lower price point - a pair of the Chevrolet Monte Carlos. A pair of the £20-ish Team GT cars would be great too.

On an analogue track, I like to have cars that are of similar performance - and a pair of similar cars is the best way to go. Which pair depends on your preferences of real cars and the size of your budget.

I'll chime i. The new Scalextric McLaren F1 GTR are great slot cars. Out of the box they have decent tires and hold corners pretty well. The cars are 1/32 scale but as a race car they were smaller and thus the model here is smaller than a lot of the Scalextric cars. Still easy to work on if you want to do some minor improvements. 

Also I think you can't go wrong with any of the many GT3 BMW z4 models. These cars handle great straight out of the box. In either case the models I just mentioned can be tuned to be incredibe. In our club racing with just the switch to silicon tires and adding one small 8mm disk magnet on top of the bar magnet the BMW z4 and the F1 GTR are top racers.

Thanks guys. Yes, I was just looking for two evenly matched cars which hold the track and race well (with magnets). I've no preference for age, style or series.

A pair of McLaren F1 and a pair of GTs sounds a good start.

Your help and advice is much appreciated.