Power Supply US - Australia

AstroSpeedBoy

Dear Friends,

I just bought a Scalextric Arc Pro Sunset Speedway set through Amazon Online (I thought Amazon was smart enough to know I was Australia) for my son for Xmas. When I contacted Amazon they said it would NOT come with an ability to plug it in to a powerpoint in Australia. Could anyone tell me what options I have to make sure my little boy will be able to play with his Christmas present here in Melbourne Australia. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Hi AstroSpeedBoy - welcome to the forum!

What you need is a Hornby / Scalextric P9302 for Australia. It should have the same 15V 4 amp output that the US transformer has. It is produced for both Scalextric digital and Hornby digital railway systems, so have a search of both Scalextric and Hornby stockists in Australia. I notice that Hearn's Hobbies is in Melbourne. If they don't have the transformer in stock, they should be able to order it for you.

If you find that you can source a set locally for less than the amazon set + Australian transformer, you should be able to return the amazon set.

Hope that helps.

Thanks Woodcote,

I have spoken with a local supplier who said they have a "Scalextric P9402 Start Transformers Aust. Plug" (see link below) is that going to work or does it need to be the "Scalextric P9302 " that you suggested Arc Pro Sunset Speedway set. Do all the sets use the same transformer? Also do I need just one transformer or is it one for each track? Also I just wanted to understand whether the set itself is in a different votage because I mistakingly got a US version and that if I buy cars and other parts in Australia that they will still work with my set. From your previous reply it sounds like the set runs on 15V 4 amp and once I get a replacement transformer all will be well.

https://www.metrohobbies.com.au/products/scalextric-start-transformers-aust-plug

Thankyou again for taking the time to reply to my question, very much appreciated. :) :)

Astro Speed Boy

ARC Pro requires one or two P9300 (or P9302 in Australia) transformers. These are 15 volt, 4 amp transformers. One will power up to three cars on both lanes, a second transformer is required to run between four and six cars (on both lanes). As you say, the 15 volt, 4 amp output is what is important - the various regional versions of the transformer simply turn the local main power into the input the powerbase requires. The only difference between the sets on sale in the UK, USA, Europe, Australia etc is that the transformer is the local version.

The Start transformer you link to has an output of 15 volts, but only 1.2 amps - this is not sufficient power for ARC Pro. Neither will the plug on the transformer fit into the sockets on the ARC Pro powerbase. The P9302 is what you require.

Brilliant! Thanks WoodCote very clearly put and nicely explained!! I won't be able to return the Set to Amazon so I need to get the Transformer locally. Confusion does reign here as the stores don't seem to know the answer. I did find a store that has a c7038 which they say was just the old name for the p9302  and it costs AUD59. Another store says they can order in a "Scalextric 91-P9302w" I asked them what the '-w' meant n the end and they said it mean a new Austrlalian item - AUD 139 (seems like a lot). They also said it could power 6 cars which doesn't seem right from what you have said. Would you mind having a look at the link and the picture on the site below and see if you think it would be the right one. Any assistance greatly appreciated.

https://familyland.com.au/scalextric-c7038-digital-4-amp-transformer

Astro Speed Boy

Chepaer "step down" power converters often case line noise and other issues that might be fine for analog but might cause issues with digital.

As an example here is a video showing how it affects audio equipment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FoZgdIKnsCE

This doesn't mean this WILL happen, it just means it might...

I have a power converter for my US appliance (VCRs mostly) from an ex-military person. It is as big as a bread box...