Fixing tracks

keithp1707821843

No - as they are likely to catch on the botom of locos or rolling stock. They should be far enough in to grip the sleepr but not so far as to distort it.

Use a pin punch with your hammer or if the board is soft enough push them in with a pair of flat nosed pliers.

I use a 3 inch nail upside down to do the final bit of hammering.  Once the track pin is down close to rail height, you hold the 3 inch nail vertically with its head against the head of the track pin, and gently hammer down on the sharp end of the nail, which transmits the force onto the track pin.  Simple, and only costs the price of one big nail, which is usually nothing as you probably have one lying around somewhere.

I use a 3 inch nail upside down to do the final bit of hammering.  Once the track pin is down close to rail height, you hold the 3 inch nail vertically with its head against the head of the track pin, and gently hammer down on the sharp end of the nail, which transmits the force onto the track pin.  Simple, and only costs the price of one big nail, which is usually nothing as you probably have one lying around somewhere.

That sounds good. I will try that next time, thanks again.

Hi there,

I have found that the lightest cross pein hammer that I can find is best for knocking in the track pins.  With the pein in line with the tracks you should be able to hit the heads and miss the tracks. such a hammer should be available in most D I Y stores and many craft shops, check the jewlry making section in craft shops for a range of usefull looking tools.

John

I do use a small cross pein hammer, but also I have a small coach bolt which I keep in the pins tin which I use as a driver  punch. This is about 7mm in diameter so it is safe to clear both rails even in pointwork. After drilling a hole through a sleeper with a tiny drill in a pin chuck I insert the pin and tap it with the hammer to start it off. I then use the coach bolt as a punch to drive it in. I stop as soon as the underside of the head reaches the top of the sleeper. 

......perhaps next time I will lay cork first. I assume the pins would go in cork a lot easier.

Cork only tends to be a thin skim layer about 3 to 5mm thick. So a track pin still needs to go into the plywood under the cork.