Let's See Your Unusual 00 Locos

Jimbo1707820979

Hello All

I hope this will be a rewarding topic that you will enjoy, experts and newcomers alike.

There are undoubtedly many loco models that you will not commonly see, either at shows (which some people find it difficult to attend anyway) or advertised for sale, that would be interesting to see even if not all of us can aspire to having. Doesn't stop us from admiring however. Or dreaming 😇

Would you please post photos (plus a description). I suggest that initially at least this be limited to the following popular makes  :

Hornby, Triang, Bachmann, Heljan, Lima, Mainline and Airfix.       Such rare and costly makes as Wrenn et al. would perhaps best be excluded, as would the brands of H0 models because of their vast variety not normally seen in this country. And there would be just too many.

I hope to post a couple of photos myself even if I am not sure whether they are unusual enough. Feel free to shoot me down.

All the best, Jimbo.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let me kick this off with something unusual I built from a kit. It is a model of the UK's only double deck train which was designed by O V S Bulleid and introduced in 1949. It lasted until 1972, and two of the motor coaches survive in preservation, one at Sellinge near Ashford, the other at the Ironstone Museum near Northampton.  The kit was one of only 25 ever made, so I suggest it qualifies for 'unusual' on many levels.. 

/media/tinymce_upload/1744643dfc8c80420d2640878fa72fe4.JPG

/media/tinymce_upload/3089a334e5b9f6911c35702b1a979fc5.JPG

Probably my most unusual loco (If it counts) is a class 158 in Transport For Wales livery (probably one of a kind in model form). It was my first respray so not the best but i'm pleased with it! I cant help but feel your list is missing Dapol but oh well!

I also have a small amount of N gauge and In N my most unusual loco/unit is probably my Dapol Class 153 in East Midlands Trains livery. Sorry, cant attach photo at the moment.

A few years ago I would have had some unusual locos but they are all available RTR now. 

I had a Baby Deltic converted from a cut up class 37 on a modified Hornby class 29 chassis, I think it was following an article by Monty Wells, a class 15 scratch built from plasticard on modified Tri-ang Hymek bogies, a class 25/3 modelled from a Hornby model using a Craftsman conversion kit and a class 24 from another modified Hornby class 25, again a craftsman kit. I think i still have them all.

The only really odd one that would still be odd (if I still had it) was a modified neverwazza Airfix class 31 that I modified from an article in a railway magazine that looked at what the class 31 might have looked like if the development of the class had followed that of the 24/25 to 25/3 with smooth sides, roof grilles and 3 large windows at the front. I painted one side green with later crest and the other in blue with the double arrows. I recently threw the body away and sold the chassis When I was having a clear out. 

Hi Jimbopuff, Before I upload photos, by the term 'unusual locos',do you mean rare, i.e. factory errors,low production runs. Perhaps items which are exspensive, like the new Hitachi 800 pack with coaches. Or items that have been altered, adapted.

Hi New Lad.  I think any of those definitions will do. The main thing is to rouse a bit of interest e.g I wasn't aware of any turbine-driven loco until one was kindly pictured. We live and learn !

I thought I had a very rare Tri-ang Road Switcher in the Grey one pictured here, as it was not listed in the Tri-ang catalogues or in Ramsay's. But a minute inspection revealed a very clever repaint ! So the bubble was burst. ☹️  I noticed the early green-liveried Switcher now fetches quite a high figure./media/tinymce_upload/d21224b252fa24f3e86c19ef24ae9989.JPG

JBP

Turbine locomotives are rare but there have been a few.

Steam turbine locomotives were tried out before WW2, the best known was a Stanier Pacific 6202 often called the Turbomotive.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=turbomotive+photos&qpvt=turbomotive+photos&FORM=IGRE

Gas Turbines (locos fitted with 'jet' engines which drive a generator ) were tried by the Great Western Railway although they did not appear until after Nationalisatiion, These two which look a bit like diesel locos wwere 18000 and 18100, 18000 still exists as a static exhibit the other was converted to an AC electric loco and then scrapped. 

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=18000%20gas%20turbine&qs=WebSearch&form=QBIR&sp=1&pq=18000%20gas&sc=8-9&cvid=EC53841165EB4FFB9D786DC3F22F834A

Then there was GT3 seen above. Finally the APT-E was powered by four gas turbines. It is now preserved at Shildon by the NRM, who also sold a model of it made by Rapido Trains (now sold out but rather expensive!)

Porsche 911 gt aka squashed volkswagon beetle - where can you possibly use it's potential in the UK? Most days, you'd never get out of first gear! (unless you reversed!)

Horrible things. You have to be a contortionist midget to get in, and the windows are so big you can't see out!

The only real advantage is - you can drive underneath an artic trailer without scratching the roof.

Yes.  Road vehicles adapted for use on the railways are rather interesting. Jeremy Clarkson did a feature on one, I seem to recall. On a related subject, I bought a nice-looking light blue Pacer on EBay but had to return it as it was a terrible runner. Depleted magnet I suspect, but didn't want to mess about with it for gfear of endangering the return.