'Dragging' issue with 2018 Brighton Belle set

dave_richards

Hi and looking for help with a frustrating issue.

I have a 5-car Belle set, which has been fine for the past year or so. I now have a problem when running the full 5-car set in that there is a massive drag, as if the power car is trying to haul a breeze block along the track :-)

My power car operates fine on its own and with a 2nd and 3rd car added. However, as soon as a 4th car is added the drag starts and when a 5th is added, it hardly moves even with my DCC controller on a full 28. I've tried adding cars in various orders, so it is not non-powered car specific and I do have the cars in the correct order when (trying to) run the full 5-car set.

My track is clean, I've cleaned the power car wheels and no other locomotives, EMU's suffer from the same probelm.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you,

Dave Richards

Check that the wheels on all unpowered cars run free. They should each run a considerable distance along a track when given a moderate push. If not the power pickups for the lighting may need slight adjustment.

• 1 month later...

This version of the Brighton Belle (R3606+R4871) has table lights powered directly from the track which means it has phosphor-bronze pickups on each axle - that's what's causing the drag. Buy a can of 

Servisol Super 10

from Amazon. Spray a small amount on a cotton bud, and lubricate each axle.

Servisol Super 10 is good for cleaning the track and wheels too!

• 4 weeks later...

This version of the Brighton Belle (R3606+R4871) has table lights powered directly from the track which means it has phosphor-bronze pickups on each axle - that's what's causing the drag. Buy a can of 

Servisol Super 10

from Amazon. Spray a small amount on a cotton bud, and lubricate each axle.

Servisol Super 10 is good for cleaning the track and wheels too!

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Many thanks for your advice. I will give this a go!

It could also be dirty wheels, as they do cause extra drag.

After reasonable running timeon the club layout (around 5 hours), my 6 Pullmans felt as though they had twice the running resistance as when i started.

Cleaning each wheel to remove the carbon deposits solved the issue and they ran free again!