My locomotives keeps shorting out

Newbie67

Hi guys 

I've hit another snag I've finally finished laying my track and points and my locomotives are running fine even slowly over the points but adding wagons and coaches with steel wheels shorts out my trains over points or passed them....

My layout is DC but I have some wagons that have plastic wheels and they run ok I think I already know the answer but I just need it confirming and how to get around it...or do I need to buy plastic wheels for all my wagons 

Chances are that the affected wagons have coarse flanges if they are old wagon stock. These coarser flanges do not work well with more modern fine scale track. Personally I would try and avoid plastic wheels if you can as they attract and spread more dirt and grime compared to metal wheels. Wagon wheels are for most brands, relatively easy to change.....it very much depends upon the axle boxes used on the bogies. There are plenty of resources both in this forum and on YouTube regarding changing wagon wheels. Modern insulated metal wheels are best....not plastic.

The reason that members are querying the brand of wagons, Is so that they can assess the difficulties or not of axle replacement and also to see if perhaps the wagons were originally designed for three rail track. If they were designed for three rail, the wheels will not be insulated and can then 'short circuit' two rail track.

Have a close look at the wheel hubs on the inside. You should be able to see a black ring where there is a plastic bush isolating the wheel from the axle on one or more likely both sides.

If early 3-rail stock then both wheels are continuous side to side as the live rail was in the middle and did not affect rolling stock, hence the question about are they Hornby or Hornby-Dublo.