Delivery schedule credibility

Trevwoody

I've just read the latest news on the Engine Shed about progress updates. This includes the line:

We also have two of the Merchant Navy Class locomotives in this issue as well. The R3716 ‘Holland America Line’ and R3717 ‘Aberdeen Commonwealth’.

Good, they look great. However, the expected delivery for them is Spring 2020. Back in Autumn 2018 I placed an order for one of their sisters - East Asiatic Company. This has been booted down the delivery schedules many times now - slipping from Spring 2019, Summer 2019, Autumn 2019, you'll know the pattern by now. The current schedule says Summer 2020.

How likely is it that something that is largely the same product can be delivered in advance of a model that has been delayed already over a year? If these 'Pre-Order' schedules are not achievable then Hornby will just end up with more annoyed customers and griping posts like this one. Be realistic.. and I'll watch with interest on the actual progress toward delivering in Spring 2020.

This makes budgetting really difficult, especially as I've just learned that the other locos I've ordered are being made available after December 24th. Fairly significant slippage..

Happy Christmas all! I'm expecting a delivery of coal.. hopefully behind an engine of some sort.

We've covered this many times before. This isn't a Hornby problem it also affects other companies. Bachmann are quite a few years behind with several of their locos. 

In my view Hornby would be better not publishing any availability dates until the products have arrived on the slow boat from China, then people wouldn't worry about when things are due. As far as I am concerned the longer it takes the more time I have to save up for it. I rather like seeing the announcement that such and such loco is now available, particularly when I have forgotten it is on order.  😀

Model railways are not a matter of life and death. Nice to have something to look forward to. Happy Christmas.

I think WTD has said it all. I have both the Merchant Navy Class loco's you mention on pre-order.  Sometime in 2020 an email will arrive saying there being delivered. I'm not going to periodically check when they will arrive. I agree that it would be better if Hornby didn't say when items were likely to arrive.

I sympathise with the original correpsondent. I too have been waiting and waiting for East Asiatic but I suspect Hornby have decided to make other fine models, such as the small tank engines and the very recent Rushton diesel, a priority to raise the profile of the company. Hopefully it will turn up eventually.

On a related matter, the model is due to have a fixed trailing bogie under the cab, as with so many new large Hornby steam engines. I would prefer to see this bogie free to move but that is just one of those things. Hey ho!

I also hope in vain that the copper piping on one side of the cab will be less fragile than on previous models but I suspect that I hope in vain!