Track compatibility and engine issue.

Rob12345

Hi, I've just got my old 00 guage train set out of the loft after 50 years of storage! After a little renovation I have managed to get 5 of the six locos working well. One, a Triang R75 Deisel D6830 will only travel in one direction, although at one stage it was working ok. Any help apreciated.

Also the track is Series 4 and I understand that the old locos won't run on the new track, due to to it being of a lower profile. Can you tell me which series of tracks are compatable with the old locos and series 4 and where the best place is to purchase it?

Thank you

Hello Rob12345.

Christmas greetings from Somerset.

When you say series 4,you mean Super 4,to give it it's correct title.

My own layout consists of a large oval of modern Hornby system 6 track,DCC controlled.

Inside that oval is a large oval of modern system 6 track which is DC controlled..

And inside that oval is a large oval of Super 4 track and on this oval I run my triang loco s and rolling stock,however,some of ,but not all of my triang stock will run on the more modern Hornb y track quite happily.

This mainly applies,in my experience,to triang locos,etc,manufactured from the mid 1960s.

Hope this is of help to you.Also,the best places to pick up good Super 4 track,in my experience,is at toy fairs,car boots and a certain auction site.

Ref the R751 diesel loco,it sounds like it needs a good service,to me.

I have several of the Triang R751 diesel loco s and the ones I have run happily on Hornby track,of recent manufacture.

As a general; rule Hornby and Triang trains will run OK on plain line modern code 100 track which is what is used in Hornby set track and other makes of set track as well as Peco Streamline, however they do not like modern  points and crossings. The flanges are generally too wide for the flangeways, and this causes the locomotives to 'jump' and derail.. 

Super 4 track used a heavier rail section than is used nowadays, and nobody makes track with this rail section anymore. It is also difficult too to get fishplates or other appropriate spares. Hornby did make an adaptor rail originally to help join up Super 4 to Hornby Dublo track.

Early System 6 track introduced in the late 1960s does have larger clearances, and will usually accept the courser wheel profiles. This is compatible with modern Series 6 and has an identical geometry. Modern locos may not accept the greater clearances through points, and may tend to derail.

A further issue is that Super 4 and early System 6 used plated steel rail, which was great for running old Triang / Hornby locomotives fitted with Magnadhesion  but also is susceptible to rust. 

Turning to the problem with the locomotive, it sounds like the loco needs a good servicing. See my Beginners Guide for some suggestions.