Help please with Mallard Pullman Set

RDS

Hello as a new Hornby train set owner I hope you can answer a question or two . My wife bought me the Mallard Pullman set . Question one why was the body loose from the main motor leaving me to locate and tighten up the screw. Question two why does the indicator light go off , plus thirdly on the controller why is the directional switch so strange to operate although it moves from side th side it does appear to labour some . Any info would be a help, my first thought was the controller is faulty , I intend to update to DCC . the controller I have at the moment is analogue .

Thank you

Hi Crassus

I have changed the title of your thread to something more meaningful, in the hope that you will receive some better answers but to be honest you really need to give a little bit more information to help other members to assist you.  

I was just thinking that W. T. D. - i 've just watched the quick vid on the "Mallard Pullman set" & there seems to be no "indicator light" - unless you mean on the controller it self - either a) you have turn it fully anti-clockwise & which means you have turn it off or B) if too much power or it over heats then it turns it self off & you then have to unplug the motor for a few monents then turn it back on again!!!

Is your set R1202?

This appears to have the very basic R8250 power supply.

This I THINK has a red light when power is supplied to the track.

Historically with other model railway persons on this site, this is not the most appropriate supply, and tends to cut out when higher powers are required - going faster, larger trains (carriages hooked up), etc.

If this is so, I would look at model railway power supplies - Hornby provide the very acceptable HM2000, originally made my Hammant & Morgan, who many moons ago produced the Duette, which has its limitations but is still a favourite of many.

Al.