Retooled Pugs

Neil Wilson1707820242

Given the release of the Peckett W4, and the Ruston, I was surprised to see Hornby throw the old Dapol tooling L&YR Pug on the market. 

This seems bizarre to me because as most of us will know, it's a bit of a poor runner, and given today's standards, we could potentially see a detailed can on this model now without the motor being there. I would have thought that the current tooling would have been better relegated to the railroad branding, and I can hardly see that there have been any improvements (other than wheelsets I think) over the 2 or so decades it's remained nearly the same. I hardly think £70 is worth it. That is, unless any of you who have had the 2000 or 2010 releases can vouch for any improvements on this release?

So why don't Hornby retool the pug, and while they are at it, do a proper detailed version of the Caley pug too. 1 welcome update, and 1 nice addition to the growing industrial fleet. 

• 3 weeks later...

Why bother, it's been round since Noah was in short trouser. there's loads around second hand which would bite into new sales of a retooled model. They are a relatively cheap model for newbi modellers. the tooling has definitely paid for itself by now so it's a good money maker for Hornby. and there's plenty of other smaller class locos to pick from rather then spend £150.000 on a retool by Hornby. only for the modeller to have the same number of models to pick from, maybe one with slightly better detai. better to have a all new model I think. 

I know which one he's on about but the same still stands the old Airfix 0-4-0 is still miles ahead of the old Hornby one. and well there's loads available second hand why bother. yes Hornby have upgraded other locos  there's a big difference between spending £70 and £200.

im sure both pugs will be upgraded one day but well Hornby can still flog them. lets have more new models. more 0-4-0 t / st are definitely needed from industry and the big four 

One of the problems with referring to classes of locomotive by their nicknames is that the same name often gets used by different people from different parts of the country for completely different type.. "Pug" is probably the one most misused. In Scotland "pug" or "puggie" can refer to any small shunting engine, usually but not always a four wheel saddled tank.

The Lancashire and Yorkshire Aspinal class 21 0-4-0ST seems to have picked up the nickname despite none of them ever going anywhere near Scotland having spent all their working lives between Liverpool and Goole, although one did find its way to Charlton in South East London working in a glass factory. I suspect it was a nickname bestowed by enthusiasts shortly after Kitmaster produced a plastic kit in the 1960s.