Scalextric New For 2020 Product Range

NWR-Gordon-4

As a long-term DC and Batman fan, I am very interetsted in these releases into the Scaelextric barnd, this year;

• Scalextric DC C4140 Batman Car
  • Scalextric DC C4142 Joker Car

Please feel express your opinions about these two cars, about other new releases you are and are not looking to this year. Thank you.  😀

GNR-Gordon-4 (SF)

I was very lucky and got a close up look and a play with these two cars. They do look fabulous. The Batman-inspired car shares its tooling with the Ginetta LMP1 that Scalextric released last year. The Batman decoration is really unusual, almost like it is etched onto steel. Photographs don't do it justice. The Joker-inspired car is based on Scalextric's new hyper car - the Rasio C20. I think the basic car shape looks nice and the Joker livery really brings out the best of the Rasio. A very good looking pair of cars...

Functionally, both run very nicely, both have working headlights (the Joker has working rear lights too) and both are easily converted to Scalextric digital using the C8515 digital plug. The Batman vs Joker set features both cars, plus plenty of stunt track pieces and the new Spark Plug wireless control system, which is a lot of fun. The Spark Plug app will get an alternative DC Comics skin and features when the set is released. There is also the Micro Scalextric Batman vs Joker set that also looks fab - the Micro Scalextric track and cars are around 1/64 scale - they don't out of place next to a OO railway layout. There are now five DC characters represented by Micro Scalextric vehicles.

Personally, I am excited by too many things in the Scalextric catalogue. Not sure how my budget will cover my wish list! Top of that list are the Micro Scalextric 007 set, the Mk3 Capri and the Sam Posey Dodge Challenger Trans-Am.

I haven't looked closely at the Hornby catalogue yet, but I love the sound of the Steam Punk stuff that I've heard about...

In regards to Batman Car, why couldn't Hornby Hobbies created a Batmobile from any era (I don't care which one), rather creating a made-up Batman liveried car? Too much money for licensing, perhaps?

I assume the set contains the same cars and will have no difference?

What do you mean by "the Spark Plug APP will get an alternative DC Comics skin"?

GNR-Gordon-4 (SF)

@andy P.

I didn't know that, so thank you. 😀

It sounds to myself, that Scalextric Spark Plug Wireless Control is very similar to the Hornby Digital eLink system, as part the Hornby model railway brand, of Hornby Hobbies. I can understand such systems being created, as the main thing the world cares about these days, is computer / smartphone / tablet technology, sadly.

So as regards to the "skins", what does that do? Does it change the look of the APP, or does it change the colour / look of the Scalextric car or cars, depending how many cars the person is using, at that moment of time?

GNR-Gordon-4 (SF)

Skins are purely cosmetic. It's like changing the desktop picture on your computer...

Regarding DPR: A lot of cars simply are simply not designed to have the chip instsalled. There isn't space.

Another problem is simply cost. The extra wires, pulgs and enigneering do add up.

Luckily a lof non-DPR cars are what I cann "retro-chip ready" RCR: There is often a hole in the correct place for the LED and usually have little pegs to hold it in place. Often the splines of the chassis make for great places to hold the chip in place.

If you use wire connectors you can also re-use the chips easily.