X2258 and X8966 can motors

NorrieMk2

Hi Everyone

Another dumb question from yours truly I am afraid.

I bought a spare motor X2258 / X8966 to repair a Holden 101 Tank engine. Are these two part numbers interchangeable?

The problem is I cannot get the worm to seat on the gear.  The soldered points that contact the pickups seem to keep the worm proud of the gear even with the retaining spring in the correct position.   Are there a lot of variants of these motors or am I doing something stupid.

Best regards

John

This looks like another of those 'Hornby special' things where there's a specific reference for one locomotive, and is given a different reference for another - I've found 3 references for what seems to be the same motor.

ONE THING!!

Look at the shape of the worm / drive end of the motor - one side is flat, the other is rounded - wider.

Perhaps turn the motor through 180' and it'll fit.

On another note, X6199 is 3x more expensive, but is a skew wound 5-pole motor - this SHOULD also fit and will perform MUCH better slowly and still give the maximum speed you have / had.

Al.

Plant the motor in the chassis with the brushes facing up and solder some suitable wires twixt the pickup tags and the motor brushes  aming sure the pickup tags do not touch any metal either on the chassis or the motor case. Early motors made dorect contact between the pickups and the downward facing motor brush tags.

The worm drives are probably slightly different, so compare as advised.

These motors are not immediately interchangeable.

X2258 is the motor fitted to Margate-made locos for many years and normally came with a white worm fitted which meshed with a white worm wheel on the axle.  The motor sat in its metal carrier with the brush solder connections facing downwards making direct contact with the tags on the pick-ups.

X8966 is the part number given to the corresponding motor fitted to China-made locos and comes with a black worm to mesh with a black worm wheel.  Eventually, the motor was fitted on its carrier with the brush connections facing upwards and wired to the pick-ups.  The gearing was also changed to slow down the locos,

So white may not mesh with black (worm/worm wheel) and the shape of the motor carrier may have been changed when the motor orientation was reversed.

GS