Nomenclature of Turnouts

LCDR

This may be useful for anyone trying to describe anything to do with Turnouts (AKA Points).

Note in the USA the Common Crossing is usually referred to as a Frog.

/media/tinymce_upload/192bfba8ead3f48f2d190587c196a6dc.jpg

To cross from one line to another parallel line two turnouts are used to make a crossover, these will be both of the same hand. In the UK trains normally keep left, just like cars, so on the diagrams the arrows indicate the normal direction of traffic. 

/media/tinymce_upload/1c372cd9910b86fe95b1b5cb8c3dad79.jpg

Trailing crossovers were used in preference because they did not usually require complex facing point locks where passenger traffic was running.  However in modern situations all points are interlocked and facing crossovers became more common.

/media/tinymce_upload/676e5343dea6755f4747fee68c019be2.jpg

Thanks Roger.

I have suggested in the past we ought  to have a FAQ section for which I would be prepared to compile content if requested. Maybe the new administrator when appointed would re-consider this. I have posted a fair bit of stuff already and I could gather it all up and re-post it. It needs to be a searchable but permanent section, with perhaps an index. 

I have suggested in the past we ought  to have a FAQ section for which I would be prepared to compile content if requested. Maybe the new administrator when appointed would re-consider this. I have posted a fair bit of stuff already and I could gather it all up and re-post it. It needs to be a searchable but permanent section, with perhaps an index. 

I think a few folk on here are compiling a "take forward" list. I would certainly support your idea LC.

R-

I've been trying to get that done behind the scenes for a year now......there does not appear to be any appetite for it within Hornby Towers at present. I proposed an FAQ section to Hornby Admin where I personally would own it, take contributions from others & my own and publish them at the same time as maintaining an index. Based upon my historical documentation on this forum, I'm sure that the membership would agree that I would make a good job of doing it too.

I really can't see why Hornby would not support it as their involvement on the 'day to day' running of it would be minimal. It does however need Hornby involvement to set up the basic start up forum FAQ configuration as the ComMods do not have access to the forum tools required to do it.

As you say, maybe a 'new broom' administrator might give it support, but so far the ComMods still have absolutely no information what is currently happening in the Adam replacement department. We (the ComMods) as are the membership (image approval for example) have been 'hung out to dry', with currently no road map to follow. It is very frustrating.

The easiest way to make FAQs searchable within the limitations of the forum search function would be to agree a standardised topic title naming convention such as:

FAQ - description

The description would be the variable that describes what the FAQ is about. The FAQ element in the title would be consistent across all FAQ posts published, thus searching for the "FAQ" term using the forum search function would list all published FAQs.