Aberystwyth Track Plan

I have found the Middleton Press Books quite useful for looking at former stations, There are two in their Western Main Lines series , Newtown to Aberystwyth, and Aberystwyth to Carmarthen, and if they are anything like the ones I have there will be at least one extract of the 1;2500 OS map included.

https://www.middletonpress.co.uk/books/railways/western-main-lines/

The Search Engine at the National Railway Museum may also have some information,.it is worth asking. Or at 'Steam' in Swindon.

You can go to the National Library of Scotland website and search for maps. They have all the historic OS maps available to view for free including the large scale ones, the website doesn't work too well on my iPad but is fine on my computer. You should be able to work out track layouts from those And you will be able to see how they changed over time. 

I remember finding a plan on Google when I was considering making an Aberystwyth layout about a year ago, it might be worth searching something like 'Aberystwyth track plan'. Be warned there is a lot of track! 

I live near Aberystwyth and it's no longer easily recognisable from the old photos.

I'm planning a Dovey Junction (Modern image) layout incase it is of interest to anyone.

I Hope some of this helps,

Iwan

Many local Authorities hold the 1:2500 OS Maps (or even the 1:1250s if you are lucky) for their area. I obtained 1:250s of Chirk from Wrexam Library so it might be worth contacting the local Library in Aberystwith.

Considered modelling it myself but looked much too big, can't remeber where I got this from but is 1903 any good?

/media/tinymce_upload/2671561258be50acff3d2d0c3c090eda.jpg

Hi Iwan, 

I managed to come across a link through to an RM Web post. 

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/127777-aberystwyth-rheidol-valley/

I also stumbled across an R.A Cooke Great Western track plan book (!)

https://rail-books.co.uk/products/track-layout-diagrams-of-the-gwr-60-aberystwyth-to-welshpool-9781911038221

Hi 81F,

No need to ask me if 1903 is alright - That map looks fantastic!

I shall keep you posted on my layout/research,

Thank you very much to all of you, 

GWR

Anyone can view all the UK maps free on their site. You can also fade between old maps and current maps so you can see what was there in the past near your home. Works best on a pc at least it does for me. 

The advice to go into your local library is also a good as they may have other information and maps that are not in the OS archives. I think you are only allowed one A4 copy from each map though and you have to sign for it, at least that's how it used to be. 

Old maps.com has all the UK OS maps as well but they have their logo emblazoned across them when you zoom in to any useable scale, and you can't zoom in as close as you used to be able to, the NLS site is best. 

Hi, 

The first of the two books arrived at my local library today (Thank you LC&DR for the recommendation):

'Aberystwyth to Carmarthen' 

This evening I have made a start on the track plan; incorporating different parts of both the 1903 diagram (that 81F kindly provided), and the copy in the Middleton Press book.

I shall put a few photographs up this evening, 

GWR