Points over a viaduct [limited access for point motors]

Guest Chrissaf

Hi all.  Happy New Year

I am using Railmaster with peco code 55 electrofrog track with cobalt IP digital motors.

/media/tinymce_upload/055d8c486f710e7588f1b3bb3f18f721.jpg

The photo above shows two short peco electrofrog points. The one on the right I can fit a cobalt motor underneath, but I cant with the one on the left because of the Metcalfe viaduct underneath. I have tried this combination elsewhere on my layout but it didnt fit very well, so I cant move it. I have measured the gaugemaster digital points and they wont fit alongside.

I want the points to change at the same time so I need ideas on what could make this happen.  I was thinking rods but cant think how to make them strong enough so when I throw the right point with the cobalt the left one changes as well??

Thanks in advance for your help.   Gerry.

Research 'Wire in Tube' (WiT).

WiT is typically used as a totally manual way to operate a point remotely. But with some modelling skills it should be feasible to use the WiT bit at the point end and the other end of the WiT connected to a remotely located point motor.

Note: In order to synchronise two point motors to throw at the same time using RM see this previous recent thread.

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/rail-master-pro-combining-points/?p=1

I would suggest a bellcrank taking a rod from the tie bar and turning that motion vertically down the side of the bridge where you can either hide a point motor at the back and/or place a second bellcrank to turn the motion horizontal to attach to a flat mounted point motor.

A second option is to bellcrank the motion from the bridge point outside and along the bridge wall (extended coverage of that gap to hide it) back onto the upper board and make arrangement per Chris suggestion to operate both points from a common motor.