DCC runaway

jchar

Sorry guys, but new to this hobby so might have some dumb questions. A couple of years ago i purchased a mixed good DCC set with the "select" controller. I currently don't have a set up so the trains, wagons and tracks are keep in air tight containers. The other day i took every thing out and both loco were runaways. I have read through numerous forums about this but i can't seem to fix the issue. I have throughly cleaned the track and loco however both continue to runaway. I have reset the slect controler and ensured the controller is not on analog. Thoughts anyone?????

Have you checked the power track for a capacitor located under the cover?.........if it is there just snip it out and test your locos again........also you should consider upgrading the firmware in the Select by contacting Hornby Customer Service, getting a job number and sending it back to Hornby, cost is £15 and well worth it to benefit from many enhanced features especially if you ever get any TTS sound decoders..........HB

You likely need to disable DC running on each decoder in CV29, but to do that as HB says you need your Select upgrading by Hornby to v1.6. Call HCC to arrange a returns number and details of where to send it.

When you get to the stage of being able to change CVs then we will tell you more about how to do that.

It doesn’t as such...

When DC running is enabled it means that if a DCC equipped loco is placed on a DC track you can control it as you would a normal DC loco using a DC controller.

When DC running is enabled and there is a problem with the loco decoder seeing the DCC signal it can interpret it as DC and as a DCC track is always at full voltage potential, the loco runs away as if powered by a DC control at max level.

There is something you can try with your Select and that is select loco address zero and turn the speed knob up to max and down again. See if anything reacts, but be ready to catch it if it takes off. It can happen that if loco zero is selected and some throttle is applied this distorts the DCC signal and a decoder equipped loco sees it as DC as described above. By carryng out that procedure we effectively cancell any loco zero control that may be present. This is not the same as disabling DC running in the decoder. A quick way to tell if DC running is enabled is to put a 9v battery across the loco wheels whilst holding it in your hand.. if it runs then it is enabled, if it doesn’t then it isn’t.

Cheers for the advice guys. Looks like the Select needs upgrading!

You never did say what revision your Select has, nor why you think an upgrade will cure your ills and we didn’t bottom out on what the cause of the original problem may be yet.