Same "Centenary Year Ltd Edition" as me!!! (+ Q's about 2 other Loco's!!!)

JJ73

I have noticed that there are 3 "Centenary Year Limited Edition" locos which I have got already!!!

/media/tinymce_upload/70f43aa81305a6cf8557ddf4deceac3f.jpg

The Evening star...

/media/tinymce_upload/b9d62371b17483532318681817ab837a.JPG

/media/tinymce_upload/03274ac96c2bff26b2bafcc1f4ff4984.jpg

BR 35028 'Clan Line

/media/tinymce_upload/0ab72864249cfcf9122dc327dfe6bff8.JPG

Oh b. t. w. I got this Loco from the set (R1162)...

/media/tinymce_upload/69f5b40157a3a84e70bd40e2af3af61f.jpg

& lastly (b4 my 2 Q's!!!)

/media/tinymce_upload/7f50529dffce64efe628ac06a39f600d.jpg

Good Old 'Smokey Joe'!!!  😀

/media/tinymce_upload/9920918ee8d1f631e428a2ad86107eff.JPG

& Now to my 2 Q's...

With the F.S. Have you Notice that they have changed the design of the box (The photos on the box etc???)...

/media/tinymce_upload/6c2c8c179732c4870b538690d3ac0ee2.jpg

The New design above in green & the old design in red below!!!

/media/tinymce_upload/c8a7c1829b244fc6691053fec80f7a27.JPG

& 2nd Q. - Take a look at the page below & note the Number of the Cock O The North...

/media/tinymce_upload/a139fe7b9bca6daea0a18435e7bdb916.jpg

& this is the Number on my Cock O the North...

/media/tinymce_upload/e1de96a1573a4bcc02015d9843e2e8e4.JPG

It say 2001 - is it some thing to do with My Loco not being a B.R. Loco???

Thank you & I hope you all Lovely folk enjoy my photos  😀

JJ

Box design will change year on year, same applies to packets of cornflakes etc. it is to keep up with fashion!!

The numbers of LNER locomotives were changed quite a lot so Flying Scotsman started as 1472N in February 1923, became 4472 in February 1924, then 502 in  January 1946, and 103 in May 1946, 103E in March 1948 , and 60103 in December 1948. Since preservation in January 1963 it has carried most of these numbers again, especially 4472 and 60103, which it now carries.

The P2 class 2-8-2 Cock o' the North was number 2001 when built,  but after rebuilding as a Pacific (4-6-2) in 1946 it was given the number 501, and became 60501 under BR in 1948. It was originally allocated the number 2981 when it was being constructed, but Gresley wanted a distinctive number for it so 2001 was allocated instead. The rest of the class becoming 2002 to 2006. The number 2981 however was stamped on some of the valve gear components!

The P2 class were remarkably varied. Only 2001 had Lentz rotary valve gear, the rest had Walschaerts valve gear. 2001 had a semi streamlined front like the W1 Hush Hush with extended side smoke deflectors, and 2002 Earl Marischal had a similar front end. 2003 Lord President, 2004 Mons Meg, 2005 Thane of Fife and 2006 Wolf of Badenoch were given the Bugatti streamlined front like the A4s, although from behind the smokebox the boiler was the normal cylindrical shape. 

Jimyjames, the Centenary Limited Edition models that Hornby are releasing this year, are presents to themselves. They are not straight releases, as they come in older style boxes and some the are models are gold plated.

Some models such as Smokey Joe contain more detail than the usual Smokey Joe that we are all used to and has sepertaly fitted handrails and a lot more detail. Also the new limited edition Smokey Joe comes in a 1980's / 1990's style Horny Railways box.

In regards to the Flying Scotsman Train Set in thr green branded box, I ntoiced that the Flying Scotsman locomotive on it's own as part of the Hornby RailRoad range, now comes in a green branded box. It's jist because it's a Flying Scotsman product, as she is famous steam locomotive.

GNR-Gordon-4 (HF)

Jimyjames, the Centenary Limited Edition models that Hornby are releasing this year, are presents to themselves. They are not straight releases, as they come in older style boxes and some the are models are gold plated. Some models such as Smokey Joe contain more detail than the usual Smokey Joe that we are all used to and has sepertaly fitted handrails and a lot more detail.

In regards to the Flying Scotsman Train Set in thr green branded box, I ntoiced that the Flying Scotsman locomotive on it's own as part of the Hornby RailRoad range, now comes in a green branded box. It's jist because it's a Flying Scotsman product, as she is famous steam locomotive.

GNR-Gordon-4 (HF)

@ L. C. :-  Thank you as ever for the info 😀 😎...With the box design - I thought it might be some thing like that!!!

With the F.S. - WOW I didn't know that she had her number changed soooo many times - I think that I knew that her number changed twice though!!!

Also with the P2 Class 2-6-2 I thought that may be the Number '2001' had some thing to do with the year '2001' but perhaps maybe not!!! Yeah I've kinda notice that any of the BR loco's numbers all seem to start with the number '60' for some reason!!! That's interesting that The number 2981 was stamped on some of the valve gear components - I wonder if I took my model P2 apart (don't worry I won't cos I probaly won't know how to put it back together again!!!) that I'll find the number "2981" stamp on the inside parts - i.e. the motor etc!!! I see what you mean with the Smoke deflectors being like the same both with the P2 2001 & the Hush Hush!!!

@ Atom :- 

Are Scottie and Clan Line taking part in the JJ Locomotive Trials?

Now that would make an interesting vid to make - thank you for that idea - I might just take you up on that - I'll be like 🫨"WELCOME TO THE JJ LOCOMOTIVE TRIALS!!!"

Seems to be something a little odd in the photos ....   😮

I was waiting for some 1 to ask me about that - Jacob (GNR-Gordon-4 (HF)) and some 1 else (may have been you Atom can't remember) already know this cos they both asked me about this last year...If you referring as to why Scottie (as you called her) the F.S. & the Clan Line Locos have got each others Tenders - then click here for the strange answer 

@ G.S. / L.C. (again) / Jacob :- Yes my Merchant Navy Loco doesn't have the Gold Wheels - the only Gold plated Loco that I have is the 80th Anniversary Mallard which I got a few years ago back in Feb of 2018!!!.

/media/tinymce_upload/48d337093013a19b6e8166d6bfb1706c.JPG

Yes my S. J. also doesn't have the hand rails like you both said L. C. & Jacob also with the red painted bit between the 2 buffers & the smokebox dart being painted up!!!

Engine numbers tell us a bit about when the engine is being modelled.

The  Big 4 companies  (GWR, SR, LMSR and LNER) were formed in 1923 out of many smaller companies which were grouped geographically. They had to combine all the locomotives, carriages and wagons from the old small companies into a single fleet, and as you can imagine there would be a lot of duplication so they had to change the numbers of many to avoid this.

The GWR was luckier than most because it was already a huge company so it just had to add the smaller Welsh Valley and Cambrian stock to its own plus a handful of very small concerns.

The Southern was an amalgamation of three  companies , London & South Western, South Eastern and Chatham and London Brighton & South Coast Railways plus a few small ones on the Isle of Wight. For about eight years  the SR simply added a small letter E to LSWR numbers, B to LBSCR numbers and A to SE&CR numbers, indicating they were maintained at Eastleigh, Brighton or Ashford respectively. New Southern engines were given numbers in the blocks associated with where they were designed or constructed.However in 1931 they decided to completely re-number the fleet. As the Eastleigh block was the largest it did not renumber these but added 1000 to Ashford loco numbers and 2000 to Brighton numbers. Locomotives on the Isle of Wight were kept in a seperate series and carried a W prefix throughout.

The London Midland and Scottish Railway originally kept all former Midland Railway numbers between 1 and 4999 virtually unchanged, apart from some older engines which it numbered in a duplicate series . All the other former company locomotives were given new numbers, London & North Western Railway locos were renumbered into a series between 5000 and 9999, Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway locomotives became 10000 tio 12999, and those of the various Scottish companies 15000 upwards. The small English companies were fitted in where they could. After a time the LMSR wanted to give all new build locomotives four digit numbers so older types were further renumbered into a series starting 20000.

The London and North Eastern Railway did something very similar to the Southern at first. So Great Northern Railway locomotives were given a N prefix, Great Central were C, Great Eastern were E, North Eastern - D North British were B and Great North of Scotland - S. However they quickly decided to renumber the locomotives so in 1924 the following scheme was applied. Former NER locos retained old NER numbers, GNR numbers were increased by 3000, GCR numbers increased by 5000, GNoSR by 6800, GER by 7000 and NBR by 9000. New construction was fitted in where possible but older classes were renumbered from time to time to clear blocks of low numbers for new builds. Unfortunately it all got to be a bit of a mess so in 1946 they got round to giving every locomotive (bar two 4125 and 4126 kept their old numbers purely by chance) a new number which grouped locomotives in the same class into the same series. This got all of the important express locomotives into a series starting at 1 and going up to 500. 

At Nationalisation in 1948 the new British Railways had to go through the process all over again. For a brief period they resorted to the use of a prefix letter for the previous owning company (W, S, M & E), but in 1949 new numbers were allocated by leaving GWR locomotives with their old number, SR locomotives numbers were increased by 30000, LMSR locomotives were increased by 40000, apart from a few old ones which had 2xxxx numbers which were completely renumbered in  the 58xxx series, and the former LNER numbers were increased by 60000, (apart from W1 class 10000 which was renumbered 60700).. New diesel locomotives were given brand new numbers starting 10000  (the LMSR 1600hp diesels retained their LMSR numbers 10000 and 10001) and Electric locomotives were given new numbers in a series starting 20000 .

The Southern under Bulleid had started a peculiar numbering systrem similar to that used on mainland Europe which described the wheel arrangement so the Q1 class were C1 to C40, the West Country / Battle of Britain class 21C101 to 21C170 and the Merchant Navy class 21C1 to 21C20. BR had to give these more traditional numbers so the Q1s became 33001 to 33040, the WC/BoB became 34001 to 34070 with 34071 to 34110 as new build, and the Merchant Navy class ended up 35001 to 35030. 

Thannk you L.C. 😀 - Well that make sence when you talked about Southern putting E for Eastleigh (small letter E to LSWR numbers), B for Brighton ( B to LBSCR numbers) & A for Ashford (A to SE&CR numbers)!!!

1948 sound like a bit of a 'nightmare' just when they thought that they finished numbering all the stock - come along 'Nationalisation' & they have to do it all over again!!!  😆 I bet they were like ARrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!! But it had to be done though!!!

I've got this 'Static' Model Loco...(Winston Churchill - Bullied 'Light Pacific')

/media/tinymce_upload/6895dc900c951585c2e8f023b5acfb89.JPG

& I always thought that it had a "bit of a funny number" & now I know why - Thank You L. C.  😀 😎