Help needed with my class 90 - non runner

rmt

Hi

There are thre versions of the Class 90

Early ones have a 3 pole Ringfield 1988 -2004

The next is a 5 poole ringfield version 2004 - 

2008 they were fitted with a DCC socket

It would help if you can give a little more detail on which one you are having problem with either Rnumber or 90xxx.

I brought a class 90 only a couple of months ago off ebay and it works great both via track and pantograph..

Hi

There are thre versions of the Class 90

Early ones have a 3 pole Ringfield 1988 -2004

The next is a 5 poole ringfield version 2004 - 

2008 they were fitted with a DCC socket

It would help if you can give a little more detail on which one you are having problem with either Rnumber or 90xxx.

I brought a class 90 only a couple of months ago off ebay and it works great both via track and pantograph..

Hi thanks for your response, model number R2048, loco did run with power to track and also using pantograph, will not run either way now!

First thing I would do would be to drop the motor out of the loco, disconnect the pantograph wire apply power to the motor using the two brush strips to see if the motor works if it works then it is a possible wiring or switch prpblem if it does not then it could be the motor needs a service / overhaul. it is unlikely the commutator has failed , it could just be dirty so needs a good clean and lubrication, it could be the brushes are worn out and need replacing

If the motor does work check the switch on the roof is locked into the right position for the track then check the rear bogie wire is connected and it is a good firm connection then have a look at the roof connection to make sure it is good, if you have a tester check the wire is sound, I would test rear bogie to switch, switch to motor, rear bogie to motor, pantograph to motor, ( I have known wire to break inside the plastic cover only testing uncovered the fault).

Once everything has been checked and put back together I would put it back on the track and see if it works ok,, I have found on several roof swicthes a slight movement of the switch is require it get the best electrical track.  The  ringfields of this period are well made do not go wrong very often but still need some care and attention and the wiring is so simple can eaisly be sorted if it goes wromg.

I have at least 40 locos from this period and all are still working fine.