Error Code on Elite/Factory Fitted DCC Merchant Navy

Bulleidboy

I have a Hornby Merchant Navy Class with Factory Fitted DCC which came from a split set and from a well known retailer. I have had it for a number of years but it has remained boxed. 

I have now promoted it to "running", but it creates an "error" message on my Elite as soon as power is switched on and the loco number is programmed in. I have been fiddling with it while typing this question, and have found all is ok if I don't attach the tender. This loco has the two prongs on the loco/tender coupling which rest against a metal plate on the tender when attached. I have tried it with an identical tender and it's fine. I can't see anything out of place. Any quick answers before I start taking it apart. Many thanks. BB

It is quite possible the loco and tender are cross wired. Use a meter to check left loco wheels are continuous with left tender wheels and vice versa. 

This may be of help with the springy prong thingy.

/media/tinymce_upload/dca35d17dd057b1152455337f34ec717.JPG

Ensure that springy prong connector is aligned right as they are no end of trouble.

The tender bit is a simple post and plate per my diagram. Its the loco bit that gets bent out of shape.

I stripped some of mine back to a bare drawbar and installed a plug and socket.

Just a thought. The tender that you tried the loco with, was it from an identical model, that was DCC ready or fitted?

The only reason i ask is because in the past i've tried to use a tender from a DCC powered loco with a loco that was analogue, but hardwired. I had exactly the same issue.

If all else fails, take the top off the tender that shorts when connected to the loco, un-screw the weight and swap the soldered wires around that are connected to the tender pick up terminals.

You may find this cures your problem.

Its a  bit out of focus but this wire looks as if it may be broken inside the insulation, but why that would create a short I dont know Unless there is a strand touching the tender post/plate. Also either side of the left hand side of the red ring there appear to be copper patches which may be bare wires.

/media/tinymce_upload/5a62c163285648f82f98d60060c0f4a6.png

Apologies if this proves to be a red herring but I seem to remember a problem occurring with rebuilt Bulleid locos a number of years ago when the polarity of the wiring was reversed such that the loco could only be run with the tender it was originally released with.  If this loco has been paired with the wrong tender, there could be an immediate short-circuit when the two are coupled.  What I can't recall is whether it affected Merchant Navies or Battle of Britains/West Countries.

GS 

So do I!  Anyway give that man a prize - fitted the original tender and everything is fine. So now have to take the replacement tender apart and do a bit of soldering. This was a DCC Fitted M/N Clan Line - probably from a set - bought as new - it is stamped on the bottom of the loco "DCC Fitted" and fitted, as are most Clan Line models with a 6000gallon tender. As the loco is now 35001 Channel Packet, I wanted a 5100gallon tender, which the loco ran with from rebuild until about 1961/2. Picked up a mint condition one on ebay - and then the "error" problem began.  I'm interested to know why the wiring was reversed. Thankfully a frustrating problem now sorted. Thanks everyone, especially GS for your assistance.