Layout location advice please.

Reddington

Good Morning Everyone,

I live in a small bungalow sadly there is not enough room for a layout inside.  The loft is very small and crampt so I can’t have a layout up there. So a few years ago with help I built a layout inside my carport on a wooden frame with wheels that’s roughly 2mx2m it’s nothing fancy but it allows me to run my trains I don’t care about scenery I just love running trains .The layout is great in warmer weather but  sadly during winter I can’t really go out there for long periods of time especially with my serious health Issues’s.

So I have given this some though and came up with idea of a summer house with a layout inside. It will let plenty of light in and I can use a small electric heater in colder months maybe I could insulate the insides. For security I would never leave my Trains or rolling stock in there overnight  they would  be locked away inside the house and I have a good CCTV system.

Good Idea or not ?

cheers Red

It will let in plenty of light.

Just be aware that excess sunlight can fade the colour of things and direct sunlight through windows can create hotspots on the track rails leading to uneven expansion. The fading probably not an issue for you if you are not intending to have any scenery, but just consider it at the Summer House design stage i.e the size and location of windows relative to the arc of the sun travel in mid Summer.

Reddington i would give a little more thought too the summer house, as mentioned you need to be careful with the sun (plus with all that glass might be hard to heat in the winter). Wooden shed might be worth looking at. What ever you choose i would recommend insulting the walls and roof, keep it abit cooler in the summer and bit warmer in the winter. Good luck.

My layout lives in a shed 8 feet by 16 feet ( externally)  I have insulated it with 2 inch thick expanded polystyrene sheet behind hardboard, all round. Inside I keep an oil filled radiator on minimum settings which seems adequate to keep the atmosphere sufficiently dry and above freezing. I have also installed two four foot flourescent tubes. . Power comes in over an armoured cable connected to a seperate MCB on the distribution board. /media/tinymce_upload/328229bb045595e5eda88d50f9efb021.JPG

Note the OO layout is inside the shed, the garden railway does NOT go into the shed.