BR Mark 4 Coaches & DVT

InterCity80s

I am hoping these are already planned, given the announcement of the re-tooled Class 91s in the 2020 range, but it would be good to get confirmation  😀 Suspect we'll have to wait until 2021 though...

Personally I would be interested in the InterCity swallow livery but I am sure others would want them in GNER/LNER etc.

InterCity80s, welcome to the Hornby Forum. 😀

The Mk4 Coaches have not been announced. There's usually a Summer Announcement, but that's not usually products that require new toolings, so as you stated, you will have to wait until the 2021 announcement, to find if Hornby will produce the Mk4 Coaches. I expect they will eventually.

GNR-Gordon-4 (HF)

Not to sure how many people recall this, but when Hornby announced their BR Class 87 way back in 2016 at Warley, they did mention that when they decided to do their first super-detailed AC electric, they had two locos on the drawing board, one being the BR Class 87 and the other being the BR Class 91.

They then proceeded to say that they chose to do the BR Class 87 first as tooling costs for it would be far cheaper as there's fewer variations and therefore fewer tooling slides needed for a BR Class 87. The BR Class 91 would not only need 2 versions itself, but it would also need brand new tooling for the BR Mk4 coaches and a BR Mk4 DVT. 

I personally understood this in two ways, firstly that was basically Hornby announcing their intentions to produce a BR Class 87 and then they hinted at their intentions to produce a BR Class 91. They did clearly mention that the BR Class 91 would follow the BR Class 87 soon. It was just a matter of time and funds. If Hornby were to only update the BR Class 91, then they would've done that earlier. They clearly put it off for a future range due to the lack of funds.

So I'm certain that based on the hints they gave us way back in November 2016, that Hornby are working on some updated BR Mk4 coaches. It's probably just a matter of time until they announce it. Let's not forget that Hornby announce models when they're well into their development cycle and most delays after that are due to the factories.

JB that does seem a balanced appraisal of the situation.  

Hornby does also have a particularly full programme in 2020 in any case what with the 100th Anniversary announcements and the four brand new steam outline main range models. (W1, A2/2, A2/3, 2MT)

Perhaps they will look at the Mark 4s for 2021, as a tribute to them when the ECML has gone all Azuma? 

JB that does seem a balanced appraisal of the situation.  

Hornby does also have a particularly full programme in 2020 in any case what with the 100th Anniversary announcements and the four brand new steam outline main range models. (W1, A2/2, A2/3, 2MT)

Perhaps they will look at the Mark 4s for 2021, as a tribute to them when the ECML has gone all Azuma? 

Quite right LC...their 2020 programme is quite ambitious and quite vast and dare I say has something for almost everyone?

• 1 month later...

Considering the time difference between them launching their super detailed class 43 and only now are we getting newer Mk3 coaches I would not hold your breath on new MK4s just because a retooled Class 91 is on the books. I will not be purchasing any Class 91s until the MK4 coaches arrive so might be quite a wait

I think Hornby has given more than enough clues to suggest that Mk4 coaches will appear soon enough. If they didn't want to do Mk4 coaches, they would've done their preferred Class 91 first instead of a Class 87. Clearly mentioned in their Facebook livestream of Warley and their presentation at Warley a few years ago.

The HST comparison to me isn't a viable one. If it is, then there's other instances where Hornby has produced rolling stock to go along with a locomotive they made. More recently it's the LMS Coronation coaches which are due this year whilst the loco was on shop shelves last year.

Hornby have been producing super-detailed versions of the Coronation Scott locos since about 2000 and relied on the old 'now railroad LNER' version for much of that time for the coaches. Only super detailed LMS coaches I recall are the LMS Period 3. Look at how long it took them to upgrade their Mk1s. Look at how many super detailed locos there have been and no new Mk2s.

Releasing Mk4s and releasing a whole new tooled Mk4 are two entirely different things. We may well see a Mk4 with just a smaller coupling or one with an NEM pocket not an entirely new coach. Mk3s are much more common than Mk4s with a lot more liveries and a very limted route availability. Personally making a comparison with their upgraded Mk3s or lack of them is about relevant as it could be.