Carriage causing Controller to overload.

RDS

To eliminate a wheel being the wrong way round get some strips of paper and lay them across the track ,place each wheel on a strip of paper ,switch on ,then pull out a strip of paper 1at a time , if the ol returns straight away then you may have an internal fault .if under warranty return it to your supplier 

I put a meter across each pair of wheel and got a 3 ohm reading across one pair. The rest were  ok. I sent it to the dealer and he said it was fine - no problems with it. So now I feel like an idiot but also I know it was definately causing a problem on my layout. I asked to have a different one in exchange (it is brand new, unused)  so once I get it I am hoping no more problems. But it was an odd thing to happen and wonder if any one else has something similar.

This seems like a weird thing but I have a brand new GWR Collett 57' bow end carriage that creates an overload of the Hornby Select controller every time I put it onto the track. It did it when there were other trains on the track and also when it was the only thing on the track. I would put it on the track, turn on the power supply and straight away the controller would show the overload code. I take it off and all is fine again. I tested this several times because I could not believe it. Has any one else has this happen? Any ideas why it would happen? I have a very small DCC layout that runs very well unless I put this particular carriage on the track.

I put a meter across each pair of wheel and got a 3 ohm reading across one pair. The rest were  ok. I sent it to the dealer and he said it was fine - no problems with it. So now I feel like an idiot but also I know it was definately causing a problem on my layout. I asked to have a different one in exchange (it is brand new, unused)  so once I get it I am hoping no more problems. But it was an odd thing to happen and wonder if any one else has something similar.

If the coach does not have any lighting inside the it would suggest a faulty wheel set 

Thank you RDS, and apologies for adding to your workload!

Regarding the coach wheelset, the insulation on one wheel has probably been bridged by the bush being faulty or damaged in assembly, or there being a foreign conductive body such as swarf bridging the insulation.  Can't say I have heard of it happening before but in all mass-production one-off faults are inevitable from time-to-time.  I believe sample testing is carried out on locomotives but I doubt any rolling stock is ever checked on a track.

GS