Will the Hornby Elite run all this.

Guest Chrissaf

hi Daryl, welcome to the forums.

Elite - 3 Amps to the track.

Locos to run - 6.

mA per loco - around 250, maybe a little more for sound - but only when running.

Various LED lights - 10-20mA each.

Answer - yes, and more besides.  Particularly as I suspect you won't be running all at the same time.

I think the simple answer is yes. I have several loco's with sound and an DMU with sound and lights, and they all work as they should. Any loco that has directional lighting, my DMU has, the headcode lighting changes with direction change - the interior lighting is on when I switch it on with the Elite. 

Your last question is also yes, but I don't think it's worthwhile. I have points that are both digital and analogue. The analogue ones are operated by solenoid motors with togle switches. The digital ones can be operated either by togle switches or by my Elite - operation is much quicker (instant) by togle switch. Why both? I wanted to see if I could do it. Signals would probably depend on how there set up - I do have one Dapol Semaphore signal wired into a digital point motor, so it changes when the point is changed - I think it would better switch operated.

Sorry Daryl - welcome to the forum.

The only issue I can see is that the Elite can only control two dcc decoders at any time.

But that is twice as many as some other controllers, and if you interface the Elite to RailMaster you have a minimum of 6 simultaneous throttles.

And a limit of two is not strictly 100% true either. You can have up to 10 loco decoders memorised in the Elite that you can call up to control at short notice.

I have eight sound locos, many coaches with lighting, wagons with track powered tail lights and have no power issues running those on the standard Elite 4 amp supply.

TIP: As a newbie poster on the forum, just be aware that the 'Blue Button with the White Arrow' is not a 'Reply to this post' button. If you want to reply to any of the posts, scroll down and write your reply in the reply text box at the bottom of the page and click the Green 'Reply' button.

See also – further TIPs on how to get the best user experience from this forum.

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/tips-on-using-the-forum/

Good evening

My first post , and the usual question

so after 40 years I am getting back into railway modeling , going down the DCC route

Now before I go spending money , this is my idea.

Hornby Q1 , with sound

West country/BoB , with sound

Goods breakvan with flashing tail light

! or 2 2BIL`s with DCC coach lighting , plus head/tail lamps and route code lit up

5 BEL with DCC coach lighting and Headcode etc

Will the Elite run all this

Points and signals (cloured lights) will be a seperate entity all together

Thank you

Daryll

To quote the Elite product page...

The Elite is more than capable of answering the needs of most railway layouts.  Twin control with press switch functions, 17 button keyboard, wide function LCD screen display and a 4 amp transformer plus the capabilities of registering 254 locomotive addresses as well as 255 accessory addresses, and that includes point control.  Also there is a USB portal for linking to a computer and the internet! 

The Elite is not the limiting factor on your layout. The power supply will only run so many locos, etc before you have to think about splitting the layout into booster regions (simple physics as Fishy has explained), but the ultimate limiting factor is the operator who can only look after so many locos at any one time, hence why computer control aids are becoming popular.