Short circuit fix needed

Been using railmaster with an elink for years, but this update has caused me problems. Had to uninstall before I could get trains to run again, and now if there's a short I get a message saying I have to unplug the power and USB leads then plug one in and then the other and wait for RM to engage with the e-link.

Before this update a yellow indicator appeared in a square, you clicked the tick to clear the shortcut and it was simple. Now no yellow indicator appears? Is there an easy fix for this please?

With Railmaster 1.7x you will have to use 'trial n error' to get a new revised working set of 'Check Controller' & 'Alternative Comms' entries in the railmaster.ini file.

This post gives more detail....I would also suggest that you change the 'Reset eLink on start=' entry from 1 to 0

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/train-will-not-run-on-elink-plus-other-issues/?p=1

Note that the very latest RailMaster version to manually download is now 1.72 and not 1.70.2 I strongly suggest you install the latest 1.72 version and try using my posts above to get that working, rather than try and get your original version working again.

Remember that you don't have to uninstall the previous version first, just run the RM installer (as administrator) over the top of the currently installed version.

Thanks Chrissaf, I downloaded the latest version from the link on the forum so that's okay. Been following your advice on the other thread and I'm missing a step. 

Opened systems setting tab, clicked on the blue cog, no online instructions appear, it just takes me to the device manager on my PC (Windows 8). How to I get to the railmaster.ini. file?

Might just be me being dense but any suggestions gratefully received!

The 'Device Manager' COG as you have found is in the 'System Settings' screen.

The 'railmaster.ini' COG is in the 'Help' screen.

Edit: WW just beat me to it as I was writing.

When you say "That's sorted it".

Does that mean that you have got your short circuit yellow square box back whilst running RM version 1.72 ?

If so, for the benefit of others researching the same issue in the future, can you state the working 'n' values you arrived at for the two .INI lines:

Check controller=n

Alternative comms=n

Or did you leave those two lines as is (if so what were they) and it was just changing the "Reset eLink on Start" line from 1 to 0 that did it ?