Ballast then faults

Pedroski

I have a DCC layout which worked well until I ballasted some of the track (about a third of it all). Now, when I set my rail master and elink to on the elink just flashes on and off Which I presume suggests a short. When using the select only with a DCC loco it shows a short, but powers a non DCC loco. I don't understand why I would induce a short just by ballast in the track?

Do I just strip the ballast off and start again?

Comparing the DCC track power and signal against DC Analogue is like comparing petrol to diesel, both can be used to power an engine but they do so in completely different ways.

DC Analogue can still work with a certain amount of leakage current flowing between the two rails. But not so with DCC. If you have used an unusual material for your ballast (for example maybe something containing graphite which is a conductor), or the glue has not dried out and cured fully yet. Then the ballast may possibly be allowing a capacitance to be present between the rails (a totally theoretical suggestion). The DCC track signal is a pseudo AC signal at a nominal 7,000 cycles per second. To this type of signal, any capacitance can potentially look like a short circuit. This is the reason why the 0.1uF suppression capacitor in DC Analogue track power (R8206 & R602) connectors need to be removed when they are being used on DCC layouts. DC Analogue track power is completely immune to capacitance between the rails.

However that said, what you have described is very unusual and something I have never heard reported before. I would think it more likely that some more basic error in laying the ballast has been done. But what....I can't think of anything obvious that comes to mind.

On balance, this query should have perhaps been posted in the Hornby DCC forum, since your issue does not seem to affect DC Analogue operation. If your post and answers should disappear from here, then the Hornby DCC forum will be where you will find it relocated to.

I have some ballast gleaned from water filter cartridges which I think may have a charcoal or carbon content, something I had never thought about until I saw your comment Chris, so I had better check conductivity of it all before it gets near a track. That may just have prevented a load of grief later on.

PVA glue which is water based can take quite a long time to dry I remember we used sawdust mixed with PVA to cover the expanded polystyrene scenery on a club layout and it took weeks to dry. Water conducts.

Perhaps some attention with a hair drier may help?

This gets weirder by the minute. First of all, I used country scenic ballast (medium). It turns out 2 of my locos are now dead. I have stripped out all of my track and could find nothing causing the short. Is it possible I just switched the power on too early after ballasting and the moisture caused two of my locos to fry? Also, would the locos be savable?