First Track - Advice on Board Setup Please

MLish

Sorry you are probably bored of newbie questions! I have looked at the track layout document - looks great and very helpful. I've also viewed some threads about setting up a board for the track.

I have just ordered the Highland Rambler set up for my son's 6th birthday. I was going to set it up on a board (9mm ply braced underneath) and stick the layout mat to it but then I read about putting cork on the plywood but I can't figure if I really need to do that or not, and if so are cork tiles acceptable as I can only see cork rolls that are 1m wide. So is a cork layer essential? 

It is a matter of choice but my advice is don't bother. Lay the track straight on the ply. Just paint the ply first, both sides and all edges. Any old emulsion paint will do. 

Great, thanks, I've got plenty of that lying about!

As you say you will stick the track mat to the plywood, you don't actually need to put a layer of cork down first. 

It all depends upon whether the sound of a train running irritates you. Plywood braced on battens can act as an effective sound board. The trackmat does little to deaden the sound, which is why some people use cork,  others use foam underlay,  and some people don't bother with either.

I have used cork floor tiles from Wickes myself. I cut them into track width strips, cutting angles across them to go round corners. Then I stick them down with a contact adhesive. . As WTD said, you don't have to do this, many people just don't bother. If you want to use the track mat then an underlay be it cork or something else, will be a nuisance. 

The track mast can, I believe, be stuck down like wallpaper, but as I have not done this myself you may get better advice from others on the forum..

Hello Mlish & Welcome to the Hornby Forum  😀

I Bought the Highland Rambler back in December of 2018 - It's a great little runner - I've done a review of it - if you want to see what it is like, then please click here :-  

I think that your son will be pleased with it!!!

JJ

Hi MLish

Cork is an optional thing and usually goes with ballasting the track on more advanced model railway's

You could if you wished cover the board in cheap cork floor tiles but no it is not essential.

Make sure your train table is very solidly built one area over engineering is good paint the top and bottom to seal all the wood you don't want it to bow and twist later.

Build good solid bench work and it will go a long way to having a reliable model railway also take great care laying track don't rush it make sure it is right before fixing the track down and re test after fixing down.

Its probably an age thing but I am not a fan of track mats I feel they are far to restrictive as to what you can do and where things can go, and look silly when track etc doesn't get put where the mat says it should go.

Beware it will grow and spread like a noxious weed and Roundup doesn't work 😆 so take that into account when you build the bench work and lay the track.

Remember the stupid question is the one that should have been asked and was not so ask away some one here will have an answer.

OK it is for the 6 YO son but if the model train bug bites you that's it there is no cure your doomed 😆

The most important thing of all have fun.

regards John