Track & Trains Makes Compatibility

GWR 14xx Tank

Hello everyone,

I am looking for some advice on 2 questions that I need answering before I purchase a locomotive and extra track for my layout. The questions are as follows:

1) Will Hornby Track Pack A fit with a Lima Oval Track? I'd like to make the oval a little more interesting.

2) Will other makes like Bachmann & Tri-Ang run on a Lima Oval & Hornby Track Pack A extensions, if they fit together.

I was just wondering wether the tracks might be a different height or connection. I couldn't seem to find any advice on the internet, so I thought you experienced people may be able to help.

Thanks,

14xx Tank

Hello GWR

Here are your answers :-

1) As long as both track (Hornby & Lima) are both 00 Gauge then yes - I think that i've told you  that b4 in the thread General Discussion > Lima & Hornby Connections

2) Again - if the Model Locos & Track are all OO Gauge then they should all fit together no matter what brand

I'm just going to quote what Going Spare (GS) said about the track in the other Thread (I hope you don't mind GS)!!! :-

Lima track was made with steel rails which need much more effort to keep in good condition than Hornby's nickel silver rail which does not rust or tarnish so quickly and therefore gives better running.

GS 

I have a mixture of Rolling Stock (I.e. Locos, Carriages & Wagons) of Hornby, Airfix, Dapol, Mainline, Lima & Bachmann  that are all 00 Gauge that I mix together on my mixture of track made by Hornby, Airfix & Lima & they all fit well together!!!

JJ

As far as I am aware, both Lima and Hornby track use code 100 rail and will connect to eachother, but......

Hornby track pack A is designed to expand a small oval comprised of 3rd radius curves and Hornby-length standard straight track sections R600.  I think I am correct in saying that Lima did not produce 3rd radius curves so this might well cause problems if you are intending to also add Hornby track packs B, C, etc.  If the Lima straight track sections are not the same length as Hornby's R600, some problems may arise when trying to maintain the oval with track pack A added.

One thing you may encounter is that older track from European manufacturers such as Jouef and Lima may use slightly different geometry to the UK systems, for example the length of straights and radius of curves may differ slightly. This should not be a problem provided you are willing to adapt track, for example use short lengths of rail cut from a flexible length, where necessary, to overcome any anomaly. The rail profile should not usually be too much of a problem either as most track sold for OO/HO train set use is Code 100 flat bottom (rail is 100 thousanths of an inch high) .

The best bet is to lay it all out on the board as a dry run first, make sure all the seperate pieces fit together with the rails in contact and the rail joiners / fishplates are firmly gripping. Avoid dog-leg joints between rail pieces which can cause derailments. 

The larger Hornby locomotives and the more detailed rolling stock do not like sharp curves, and may derail, so check the packaging or the specification here on the Hornby web-site to see what the minimum curve is recommended .  Some older track systems did use some remarkably tight radii. 

Part of the fun of model railways is the challenge of building a layout that works, and in problem solving. 

Thanks all for your replies. I am not planning on expanding my layout from the basic oval with siding for quite a while. I think I'm going to make scenery before I do expand.

Thanks for the confirmation of how all brands can be mixed and matched (if you like) if they are the same gauge and code.

14xx Tank

Hello GWR

Here are your answers :-

1) As long as both track (Hornby & Lima) are both 00 Gauge then yes - I think that i've told you  that b4 in the thread General Discussion > Lima & Hornby Connections

2) Again - if the Model Locos & Track are all OO Gauge then they should all fit together no matter what brand

I'm just going to quote what Going Spare (GS) said about the track in the other Thread (I hope you don't mind GS)!!! :-

Lima track was made with steel rails which need much more effort to keep in good condition than Hornby's nickel silver rail which does not rust or tarnish so quickly and therefore gives better running.

GS 

I have a mixture of Rolling Stock (I.e. Locos, Carriages & Wagons) of Hornby, Airfix, Dapol, Mainline, Lima & Bachmann  that are all 00 Gauge that I mix together on my mixture of track made by Hornby, Airfix & Lima & they all fit well together!!!

JJ

Thank you for reminding me about what you said in the "Lima and Hornby Connections" post. To be honest, I'd completely forgotten about it! Your information, as everyone's is, is very helpful.

After Lima had joined the UK 00 market they did release track that was interchangeable with the Hornby/Peco settrack. I think it said Lima Italy on the base but other than that it was exact copies of the track sections and geometry with black sleepers and steel rails. I think it had the large brass fishplates that the previous Lima track had though. I have got some somewhere that I got cheap at the time, I don't think it was available for long.